1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 1:10 PM by aladdin9

Vista SP2 VSE 8.5i upgrade to VSE 8.7i Repost 4 disabled VBScript

aladdin9

VBScript was working normally before the upgrade, and ever since the install of 8.7i with Patch 4 repost (3 days ago), VBScript is failing.  I have tried to re-register the vbscript.dll which succeeds without an error, but I still get the error message "Can't find script engine ""VBScript for script ...".  I currently have VSE 8.7i Patch 4 with DAT 6232 Engine 5400,   VSE is un-managed, and computer is Vista Ultimate SP2 x86 stand alone (no domain).  Manually disabling all of VSE - Access Protection, Buffer Overflow, Email, On-Access still does not fix the issue.  I did find a very old article about VSE 8.0 requiring patch 13 or higher to fix the behavior that VSE would not respect the disabling of script scanning, but I doubt this applies (I don't remember if I ever had VSE 8.0 installed, I doubt it worked with Vista anyways).

• 1. Re: Vista SP2 VSE 8.5i upgrade to VSE 8.7i Repost 4 disabled VBScript
          aladdin9

The script scanning included with VirusScan enterprise modified this registry key

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32]
          @="C:\\Program Files\\McAfee\\VirusScan Enterprise\\scriptcl.dll"
          "ThreadingModel"="Both"

which caused VBScript to fail.  A complete uninstall of VSE 8.7i Repost 4 left this key unmodified, causing VBScipt to fail since this McAfee dll no longer exists.  Manually changing the registry key to the windows default:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32]
          @="C:\\Windows\\System32\\vbscript.dll"
          "ThreadingModel"="Both"

solved the issue.  I am now going to attempt a clean install (not looking forward to verifying steps in KB59996), then uninstall to see if the problem reoccurs, or if this was only caused by the VSE 8.5i - 8.7i Repost 4 upgrade I performed.

For others with the same problem you might attempt the steps in https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB52222 , it's possible that unregistering the ScriptCl.dll might fix the registry key.  Step 11 in KB50602 How to manually remove VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i  also states to unregister this DLL.

Message was edited by: aladdin9 on 1/27/11 1:10:20 PM CST