Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
4833 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2011 1:24 AM by Aldrin RSS 1 2 Previous Next
KMoore Newcomer 5 posts since
Jan 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 20, 2011 12:17 PM

Help, cannot load google.com on Windows XP computer

I am currently having problems accessing Google.com or using Google searches on my XP computer.  This problem seems to have developed after that computer updated to the new McAfee Security Center 10.5 with VirusScan 14.5 and Firewall 11.5.  This problem is affecting all browsers on the XP computer, including Firefox (4 Beta 9), Safari, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Opera.  In every browser, search bars set to google and some google.com sites will not load.  GMail and Google News will load, but these are the only two that appear to do so.  I am currently running a VirusScan with up-to-date definitions.  Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.  I currently have the same McAfee versions installed on my Vista Laptop with absolutely no issues.

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,602 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    1. Jan 20, 2011 1:40 PM (in response to KMoore)
    Re: Help, cannot load google.com on Windows XP computer

Can you access Google.com from your Vista laptop without any delay in loading the page? But from an XP machine the page(s) won't load? I was going to suggest that there might be, or have been, a problem with Google itself because I noticed early today that Google, my homepage, was taking a long time to display. Mine is an XP too, and I was using IE (which is always slow, but not usually that slow).

What symptoms do you see when you get the problem? Does it just hang, does it timeout, does it part-load?

If it's not a Google server problem then you could try the usual things - flush the DNS cache, delete temporary internet files, purge cookies from the system, check for problems with add-ons especially in IE - except that you say you get it even with Chrome, which is optimised for fast loading. Hmm. It has to be a local problem if your laptop is okay. If I was a tech I'd say run a few scans to see if anything has got on your machine that's trying to redirect you, or otherwise mess with your connection to Google. But for now I'll only say that if you download SysInternals' Process Explorer you can watch in detail what's going on with the processes when you try to connect, and that could well give you the clue you (and we) need to resolve the problem.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • Champion 661 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jan 20, 2011 7:51 PM (in response to KMoore)

KMoore – McAfee Firewall would not block google.com. However, it would occur in case if you have any hidden infections on your computer. Please click on Start> Run> Type cmd> Ok> Type ping www.google.com. Check whether you are able to get a good reply, if No then Type IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS> Hit Enter.

If required Reset the Internet Explorer to its default settings and retry the website and let us know the status

Jul 9, 2007
    7. Jan 20, 2011 8:34 PM (in response to KMoore)

Good to hear that. However, let us know if you still come across any such instance.

• pchancock Newcomer 2 posts since
    Jan 21, 2011
    8. Jan 21, 2011 1:59 PM (in response to Aldrin)

I am having the identical issue.  McAfee Total Protection, Security Center 10.5 Build 10.5.221 with McAfee Personal Firewall Build 11.5.141.  Blocks all www.google.com and most other websites.  (IE: www.chase.com, and subpages on my credit union web site.)  I have flushed the DNS, and can ping www.google.com fine.  The firewall simply blocks the site.

I am running XP v.5.1.2600.

If I disable the McAfee Persnal Firewall, everything works fine.  If I enable it, I get this site blocking behavior.  I also can not do a POP-3 fetch from Thunderbird with the firewall enabled.  Works fine with the firewall disabled.

It would appear that McAfee downloaded an update that broke the firewall.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

Jul 9, 2007

Hello Patrick,

I don’t think it’s an identical issue as what KMoore had. However, I would like to know the following:

1.    What kind of internet connection are you using?

2.    What is the version of Internet Explorer that’s installed in your computer?

3.    Do you have any other security software installed?

4.    Did you recently come across with any weird popup or security alert messages in your computer?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points