7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 7:30 AM by commsec

McSvHost.exe Using Excessive CPU Resources

Ever since being automatically "upgraded" to the new McAfee Security Center 10.5, it has brought my computer to its knees. The "mcsvhost.exe" process continually uses between 20-35% of my CPU usage. When trying to do anything that is CPU intensive (video editing, audio recording, Photoshop, etc.) my system slows to a virtual crawl.

I have been a loyal McAfee user for 20+ YEARS, but this recent "upgrade" is unacceptable. I am running Windows 7 on a dual-core Intel CPU (2.20 GHz), with 4 GB of RAM. Prior to the "upgrade", McAfee was always very well-behaved, using minimal CPU and memory resources.

Please help before I become a former McAfee user.

• 1. Re: McSvHost.exe Using Excessive CPU Resources

Hello Stephen,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. It would be really great, if you could let us know the following:

1.    What is the version of McAfee installed in your computer?

2.    Have you recently made any changes to your computer?

3.    Do you have any printer installed in your computer? If Yes, is it HP?. If No, then what brand is that?

4.    Could you please get us the screenshot of the Task Manager which shows CPU Usage in McSvHost.exe

• 2. Re: McSvHost.exe Using Excessive CPU Resources

Why the HP question? Wondering if this could be my issue too? Thanks.

• 3. Re: McSvHost.exe Using Excessive CPU Resources

Because there were some issues with HP printer drivers which was causing issues with McSvHost.exe, but it can be resolved by updating the printer drivers.

• 4. Re: McSvHost.exe Using Excessive CPU Resources

I'm apologize beforehand but I'm not very "tech savvy"...but how do you update printer drivers?

• 5. Re: McSvHost.exe Using Excessive CPU Resources
                  Hayton

Stephanie,

There are a couple of sources of information here which may be useful.

The first one gives you some good general advice on updating printer drivers but also tries to entice you into clicking a link ("driver update program") to download their whizzy piece of software. In my opinion, you should perhaps ignore that link.

http://www.articlesbase.com/software-articles/windows-7-drivers-how-to-update-pr inter-drivers-in-windows-7-3419541.html

The second is only applicable if you do have an HP printer, and is from HP's UK website; it's the 'Support and Drivers' page. Lots of useful links and an automatic printer-model detection capability : http://welcome.hp.com/country/uk/en/support.html

Come back if they're not helpful and Aldrin will pick up the thread again. I hope he didn't mind my arrival, but I had the links, so ...

Message was edited by: Hayton, forgetting to put in the link to HP. on 20/01/11 07:55:21 GMT
                  • 6. Re: McSvHost.exe Using Excessive CPU Resources
                    Hayton

commsec, the McSvHost issue has been debated here for a long time and it was eventually agreed, sort of, that the problem was some kind of incompatibility between some low-level McAfee code and the code in (usually) HP printer drivers. That may not apply to you but the general realisation of the code-conflict issue at least gives us a bit of a clue.

To isolate the program(s) which is/are causing the conflict it may be necessary for you to work with one of the McAfee techs to analyse the programs, processes and services running on your machine. Would you be willing to do that? If so, I'll hand you back to Aldrin, who knows all about this sort of thing.

Message was edited by: Hayton. Typos, typos. More hsate less spood. on 20/01/11 08:05:01 GMT
                    • 7. Re: McSvHost.exe Using Excessive CPU Resources

After reading the comments others have left, I checked to see if there were updated drivers for my HP printers. Indeed there were, so I proceeded to eradicate the old ones to replace with the new. Once the updated drivers were installed, the behavior of McSvHost.exe was much, much improved.

More digging through these archives mentioned that keeping the HP Digital Monitor from running at start-up would also help keep McAfee well-behaved. Once I moved it from the Windows Startup folder, things are back to running nice and smooth. McSvHost.exe is well under control, only popping up occasionally on the task manager "Top 10" and never using more than 2% or 3% of CPU resources, and then only very briefly.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and I am now a happy McAfee user again!