3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2011 12:04 PM by wwarren

McAfee EngineServer Service Consuming High CPU

abramojt

Our Citrix servers are consuming High CPU usage on the McAfee Engine Service.

VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i with Hotfix 4 installed

Windows Server 2008 with Service Pack 2

McAfee Engine Server Service taking 150mb

• 1. Re: McAfee EngineServer Service Consuming High CPU
          wwarren

High CPU usage, or high memory usage?
          You posted data about memory usage.

FYI, 150mb is not high. More than 2 times the size of the DAT files would be considered higher than expected, but still arguable as to whether it's high.

Certainly more than 3 times the size of the DAT files is of concern.

• 2. Re: McAfee EngineServer Service Consuming High Memory Usage
            abramojt

Sorry. I ment Memory usage. I just checked it and it's using 1.5 to 2gb. this is on all 5 of the citrix servers.

• 3. Re: McAfee EngineServer Service Consuming High Memory Usage
              wwarren

Definitely contact Support to report the issue.

It will help Support if you run the MER tool while memory usage is high.

Then collect Process dumps of the EngineServer process.

The more systems you can do this on that have the problem, the more data points we'll have to work with that may reveal leads in the investigation.

You can restart the EngineServer service as a workaround to drop the usage to normal levels (once the data has been gathered).

To help further, consider enabling Performance Monitor to record the behavior of the system over time. This could add overhead to normal performance but the data might be very helpful. It could let us correlate the increases in memory to other process activities. Support can help with the details.