8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 8:00 PM by RaviShankar

Recent 5.2 upgrade

Since this has gone through i have had complaints from 2 clients. One saying that the backups are taking much longer and one saying a database server is running slow. What are the changes with this new version that could cause this?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Recent 5.2 upgrade
          RaviShankar

Hi,

I have read your post.

This is because the new upgrade will not know what are all the legitimate applications installed in your computer and that is why it is blocking all the applications. Please follow the given instructions to exclude those backup.

Login into your Security center with your email address and the password in the page www.mcafeeasap.com
          Please look on the tab Policies on the top
          Please click on the Policies tab;
          Click on Add policy
          Select Virus and spyware protection and under spyware protection mode select reports
          Now, select the exclude files and folders tab
          Select the type and then enter the location or the path of the particular file which you want to exclude from McAfee scanning.
          Save the policy and run a McAfee manual update on your computer.

Note: You will not be able to edit the policy with the name McAfee default as it is a default policy.

Regards,

Ravi

• 2. Re: Recent 5.2 upgrade

Thanks but it doesnt answer my question. These servers have been running with mcafee for many years, why would a new install not keep the settings? We have not put in any manual file exclusions

• 3. Re: Recent 5.2 upgrade
              RaviShankar

Hi,

I read your reply.

This is because your McAfee has upgraded to version 5.2 from 5.0. McAfee has added some additional features in this 5.2 upgrade. since McAfee has upgraded completely the security center also has upgraded according to its new features and that is why your security center settings has changed.

Regards,

Ravi

• 4. Re: Recent 5.2 upgrade

The new 5.2 update has killed my server performance as well.  My users are reporting all kinds of slowness issues.  The previous version was running fine.  I completely removed McAfee 5.2, ran the MVSUninstall utility, then reinstalled it, thinking maybe the upgrade to 5.2 had an issue.  This did not fix my issue.

My reports for the server do not show that it is blocking any potentially unwanted programs that it shouldn't, so not sure the suggestion of just reporting and not blocking would fix the issue either.

For right now, I have completely removed McAfee 5.2 from my server until things are sorted out.

• 5. Re: Recent 5.2 upgrade
                  RaviShankar

Hi,

I have read your post.

Please be informed that we have a fix for this high CPU usage issue. I would like to recommend you to please contact our technical support in order to fix this issue.

McAfee Gold Technical support : 1-800-937-2237

• 6. Re: Recent 5.2 upgrade

I am calling tech support right now.  Can you share the fix here so everyone can see it?

• 7. Re: Recent 5.2 upgrade

So Tech Support requested that I make some changes to my policies to help with slow systems (i.e. McAfee high CPU usage).  They requested that I add a folder exclusion of "C:\Program Files\McAfee\" under the Virus and Spyware protection policy.  They also wanted me to change the Artmeis sensitivity level under the Advanced settings to low and the "Maximum percentage of CPU time allocated for on-demand and scheduled scans" to low as well.

I have implemented those, so once my systems get through one update cycle, either automatically or manually, then I can see if that helps.

Tech Support also told me that there is a hotfix that can be applied if my system still has a slowness issues.  They did not give me the hotfix but said a tech support person can remote connect and apply it.  Not sure I like that idea, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.  It would be better if they would just give my access to the hotfix itself.

I will update on the success/failure of the fix so far once my machines are updated.

• 8. Re: Recent 5.2 upgrade
                        RaviShankar

I read your reply.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Could you please provide me the service request number so that I will check with concern department and I will do the needfull?

Regards,

Ravi