5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 8:29 AM by mmialhe

VSE 8.7.0i Patch 4 deployment via ePo 4.0 - Granular Deployment

Hi all

Hoping somebody can help me with a ePo question.  I'm preparing to deploy VSE 8.7.0i Patch 4 to our users but i'd like to know how you can do this to small numbers of users at a time, to make sure I don't have any compatibility issues. As far as I can see once you upload the patch in to ePo, it's ready for everybody to receive. Surely ePo offers a way of deploying patches in a granular fashion ??

Thanks all

dtoombes

• 1. Re: VSE 8.7.0i Patch 4 deployment via ePo 4.0 - Granular Deployment
          Tristan

The way i do it is:-

1 - Disable Global updating in EPO ( Menu -> Configuration -> Server Settings )

2 - Create a new group in the system tree with a task that installs VSE 8.7 P4 (or what ever software you want) with immediate start schedule.

3 - Move selected computers into that group and send an agent wake up.

4 - Once done move the computers back to their original group

If you have multiple repositories you could create multiple 'install' groups and specify different repositories by creating a new agent policy for the group.

Note: I don't use directory sorting so couldn't comment on how this method could/would/should work under those circumstances.

Message was edited by: Tristan I only manage 300 computer via EPO but i suppose in theory this method could scale up to the 1000's on 17/01/11 17:09:40 GMT
          • 2. Re: VSE 8.7.0i Patch 4 deployment via ePo 4.0 - Granular Deployment
            twenden

Take a look at KB57905 which you can search from the McAfee Knowledgebase https://mysupport.mcafee.com/Eservice/templatepage.aspx?sURL=3 .

It will show you the various means that Patches can be prematurely deployed throughout your organization. We had global updating disabled, but it still went out to systems that were not part of our test group.

It is a pain to deploy patches as it leaked out to over 1400 of my systems. The only issues we had was with Thunderbird not working. This is due to a problem with exclusions longer than 15 characters, this is addresses byhotfix 613356 which you can get from support after running the MER tool.

Release Notes - McAfee® VirusScan® Enterprise 8.7i HotFix 613356

Thank you for using McAfee software. This document contains important  information about this release. McAfee strongly recommends that you  read the entire document.

About this HotFix

For a list of supported environments for VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i on  Microsoft Windows, see McAfee Support KnowledgeBase article KB51111.

• Patch Release: 12-10-2010

This release was developed for use with:

• McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Patch 4
            • McAfee AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.7i

Files affected:

File name Version
              mfeapfk.sys14.1.0.677
              mfeavfk.sys14.1.0.677
              mfebopk.sys14.1.0.677
              mfehidk.sys14.1.0.677
              mferkdet.sys14.1.0.677
              mfetdik.sys14.1.0.677
              mfevtps.exe14.1.0.677
              mytilus3.dll14.1.0.585
              mytilus3_worker.dll14.1.0.585
              mytilus3_server.dll14.1.0.585

Resolved issues

Resolved issues in this release of the software are described below:

1. Issue: When a Windows Server Backup is scheduled on a  removable storage device and the backup storage device was unexpectedly  disconnected the Plug-and-play event would be delayed waiting on file  scans to the disconnected backup device, resulting in the system no  longer adding and removing plug-and-play devices. (Reference: 588306)

2. Resolution: File scans being performed on backup devices,  that get unexpectedly disconnected, no longer prevent Plug-and-play  events from occurring.

3. Issue: Kernel mode drivers should refrain from using  more than 1kb of stack space when processing I/O. However when another  filter is installed and attempts to filter McAfee's driver load attempt,  both filters can then use large amounts of stack space resulting in a  stack overflow and a double fault exception (BSOD). (Reference: 613356)

4. Resolution: Updates to the drivers have implemented a change to move stack usage to the heap in these instances.

5. Issue: On-Access Scanner attempts to mark the file as  writable while accessing a file marked read-only, but fails to account  for the case of 'read only' being the only attribute set on a file,  attempting to set an attribute mask of 0 (i.e. - 'do not change  attributes' when set). (Reference: 624132)

6. Resolution: The On-Access Scanner now correctly detects  'read-only' as the only attribute set on a file and sets the 'attribute  normal' instead, which has the effect of actually removing the read-only  attribute.

7. Issue: Process names over 16 characters listed in the  exclusion or inclusion fields of an Access Protection rule are not  being recognized in Windows Vista or later. (Reference: 626033)

8. Resolution: Access Protection rules now can handle process names greater than 16 characters in length.

Message was edited by: twenden on 1/18/11 9:27:05 AM CST

Message was edited by: twenden on 1/18/11 9:29:10 AM CST
            • 3. Re: VSE 8.7.0i Patch 4 deployment via ePo 4.0 - Granular Deployment

Hi,

I was thinking of doing this also but in my configuration global updating is already disable. The thing is that as soon as I put the package (VSE patch4) in the current branch, all the PCs are downloading it....

I got several repositories but I guess that as they didn't download the latest version yet, when the PCs check they found the master server is the one having the latest VSE version and all are downloading on it...

do you think I can log on the repositories and manually copy the VSEpatch4 into the current_branch folder?

Cheers.

• 4. Re: VSE 8.7.0i Patch 4 deployment via ePo 4.0 - Granular Deployment
                Tristan

Do you have an update client task running against your groups?

Make sure you only have the 'Signatures and engines:' options ticked and everything under 'Patches and service packs: ' unticked within the configuration tab of the client task.

• 5. Re: VSE 8.7.0i Patch 4 deployment via ePo 4.0 - Granular Deployment

thanks Tristan !

yes I had this ticked !

so I will untick it and then put back VSEpatch4 in the current branch ! if my understanding is right, the repositories will then download the patch in their current branch folder, but no PCs will install it !