Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
7718 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2012 3:48 AM by Peacekeeper RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
tcd Newcomer 3 posts since
Jan 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 17, 2011 12:14 AM

How do I get rid of Security Sheild malware? .

How do I get rid of Security Sheild malware? My mcAfee software didn't pick it up and now it is driving me nuts.

• grace104 Newcomer 1 posts since
    Jan 17, 2011
    1. Jan 17, 2011 3:07 AM (in response to tcd)
    Re: How do I get rid of Security Sheild malware? .

I had the same recurring nuisance message of Security Shield malware last night and tried to find a solution and lead me to a website with 24 hour help chat. They offered to fix it all for a fee of more than US$100 so I became suspicious because I had been tricked already before into paying around US$80 for removing the malware Defragmenter.  This time I tried my own gut solution and it seems to have worked because the Security Shield bug was gone.  I just logged off and restarted my computer and pressed F8 as my computer was restarting and I went to Safe Mode with Networking, chose System Restore to a restore point which is around 3 days earlier.  When the System Restore was finished my computer restarted, the Security Shield bug/malware was gone.

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,365 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    2. Jan 17, 2011 3:45 AM (in response to tcd)

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• ConorD62 Champion 586 posts since
    Apr 9, 2010
    3. Jan 17, 2011 6:08 AM (in response to tcd)

Hi tcd,

I would suggest downloading Malwarebytes from www.malwarebytes.org, it should get rid of Security Shield.

Good luck and post back if you have any problems!

If you need any help, please send me a message, the same goes for any malware questions.
  • Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,599 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    5. Jan 19, 2011 10:30 PM (in response to tcd)

If you know approximately the date when you acquire a malware infection then using System Restore to go back to a time before you were infected will restore the status quo ante.

Presumably though this leaves you with a problem if you're doing a lot of work on your PC because any work you've done since the restore point will be lost. Has that happened to you?

Another way to get rid of it would have been to follow the advice given over at bleepingcomputer's removal page here.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
    Nov 23, 2002
    7. Jan 20, 2011 11:05 PM (in response to tcd)

I would scan it with getsusp it is a beta program but worth a go.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Pi Sedoff Newcomer 3 posts since
    Feb 21, 2012
    8. Feb 21, 2012 6:47 PM (in response to Hayton)

I have a subscription to Mcafee that is on automatic update. I have the firewall turned on. I have scanning set to real time. So why:

1. Did I get another infection of Security Sheild?

2. When You search the Mcafee site there is no mention of the Security Sheild Malware?

3. Why doesn't Mcafee have removal tools? I have to be refered to a third party site to get rid of this virus that Mcafee let on my computer!?!

4. Why would I be stupid enough to renew my subscription this year?

5. Why does Mcafee think that I would pay them $85 to remove the virus they allowed on my computer?

Nov 23, 2002
    9. Feb 22, 2012 4:05 AM (in response to Pi Sedoff)

Legit questions Have you tried stinger

These fake AVs are hard to detect they change often. This is what 1 of the malwarebytes developers says re them

· ...from one of the lead developers of MalwareBytes (Bruce Harrison) :
    As far as why MBAM is very good at dealing with this infection, that is simple.MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem to be having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions of infections that any decent AV already detects as
    MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it. A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HJT threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some way bypassed.
    Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future.MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to its core app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No, MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points