7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2011 8:01 PM by Hayton

Repair slows computer

I wonder if I can get some help.  A few days ago, I received a warning that virus protection was not functioning.  In trying to find a repair, I downloaded and ran Virtual Technician.  This resulted in repair, but now my computer runs noticeably slower.  Windows Task Manager indicates surges of 100% CPU usage.  It appears mcshield.exe and mcSvHost.exe are responsible.  I also see AAWService.exe jump at times.  I believe this is Ad-Aware which I've read is not compatable with McAfee, though these programs have run together for years without the current slowness.

At times, I can't even type in Word without noticing a delay in the letters appearing on the screen.

If I disable Real-time Scan, the computer runs as quickly as before.

Computer runs Windows XP, Service Pack 3.0, IE 8.0, with 512 MB ram.

I'm tempted to run a restore point prior to the repair, but from what I've read, this is not the ideal solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Repair slows computer
          Peacekeeper

Hmm is Lavasoft adware a paid version?  If it is its realtime scanning would clash with Mcafee's . Unsure why MVT would suddenly start the slowness. I would have expected some before this if this is the case(ie paid version)

• 2. Re: Repair slows computer

Lavasoft is not a paid version.

Though I didn't keep the log from the MVT repair, it said something about a DAT file.  So perhaps a McAfee data file was corrupt and needed replacement.  And perhaps an update was made at the same time.

From other posts I've read, it appears that McAfee "improves" its software without regard to the resources available in older computers.  These upgrades or improvements may then suck so much of the resources that other functions of the computer slow.

Any way to work around this?

• 3. Re: Repair slows computer
              Hayton

I have a basic system which - for a while - was the same as yours. I kept it going for a while with 512 Mb of memory then had to accept that modern software is resource-hungry and that 512Mb was no longer enough. I upped it to 1Gb and the performance improvement was noticeable. If I had known then that this old Dell could actually run with up to 2Gb I would have gone for the most memory I could fit into it.

The problem is unlikely to be just that McAfee suddenly introduced something that crippled your performance, although that's possible. If you've got 512Mb of memory then Windows is going to be spending far too much of its time anyway swapping data to and from the pagefile, so disk access speeds and performance then become an important factor in the overall perceived performance of your PC.

Really, the only sensible thing to do is to put in as much memory as your PC will take or as much as you are willing to pay for. I think the days are now gone when one of the first concerns of a software developer was to maximise the efficiency of code whle minimising its memory footprint.

• 4. Re: Repair slows computer
                Peacekeeper

I also had a 512Mb Xp test box and though Mcafee says it is OK really it is struggling. I just replaced my daughters PC ithad 384Mb ram and that was slow. A ram upgrdea as Peter mentiones is worth a serious thought.

Aawservice I was wondering why it was running?  Really see no reason for it to be running I thought the idea was to run an adware scan regularly same as we run Malwarebytes etc as a second line of defense.

Found this

Hi everybody, just thought I would give you my input on this topic.  As far as I know, you can disable the Ad-Aware 2007 Service as follows:

Start -> Run
                Type "services.msc"
                Find "Ad-Aware 2007 Service"
                Right click -> Properties
                Change "Startup Type" to "Disabled"
                Click Apply and OK
                Close Services
                Restart

That sorted it for me anyway.

Cheers

Thanks for your input. I used your advice because the process was using too much memory. Only instead of disabling the service I chose 'manual'. When disabled ad-aware wouldn't start (1810 error). Now I can close the process and it won't reappear without starting the application again.                                                               

• 5. Re: Repair slows computer
                  Hayton

For problems with svchost.exe see the following thread, in particular the contribution (no. 8) from Oshwyn5 :

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/704243-solved-svchost-exe-high-memory.html

For aawservice.exe see http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=12497

• 6. Re: Repair slows computer

Thanks Hayton, you've comfirmed my suspicion that 512 MB of memory is not adequate.  I will also pursue the suggestions related to Lavasoft and srvhost.exe.

Tony, thanks for forwarding the means for controlling Lavasoft manually.

• 7. Re: Repair slows computer
                      Hayton

I really shouldn't attempt to read posts without my glasses on. Your comment was about McSvHost, and my response was to do with svchost, a set of Microsoft processes (not the same thing at all, although interesting enough in itself, I suppose).

There have been many, many posts here about McSvHost and its perceived shortcomings, especially to do with excessive CPU usage. The best explanation of what this process is and what it does is in https://community.mcafee.com/message/142755.

To quote a short extract (reply by rtargosz, a McAfee Software Architect in Consumer Engineering) :

This is like Windows svchost in that it "hosts" or loads McAfee binaries into a single process running under the SYSTEM user so that privileged operations can be performed on the OS like firewall protection, spam protection, network monitoring, etc.

So it's actually a collection of processes under a single identifier. SysInternals' Process Explorer is helpful here in identifying them (see screenshot).