2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 2:28 PM by aladdin9

Outlook 2007 Scanotlk.dll missing, KB57977 inaccurate

aladdin9

I encountered this issue today on a Vista Ultimate x86 SP2 computer with Outlook 2007 SP2, during an upgrade from VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i to 8.7i Patch 4 repost installer.

In the KB57977 Scanemal.dll or Scanotlk.dll error when opening Outlook (Scanemal.dll or  Scanotlk.dll cannot be installed / loaded / found or is missing) dated 2010-08-16

Workaround 1 does not apply (Office 2007)

Workaround 3, Outlook 2007 there is no Exchange Scan as detailed in step 5:

1. Open Microsoft Outlook 2007.
      2. Click Tools, Trust Center, add ins.   
      3. Click the option Manage, which is located in the bottom right corner.   
      4. From the drop-down list, select Exchange Client Extension and click Go.  
      5. In the Add In Manager window, deselect Exchange Scan and click OK.   
      6. Close and reopen Outlook.   

Workaround 4 does not apply, ePO not used

Workaround 2, delete of EXTEND.DAT was used as the last resort to fix the issue

Since VirusScan 8.8 will be out soon, will we see the same issue when performing an upgrade from VirusScan 8.5i to 8.8?  I would like to request that the 8.8 installer and future 8.7i Patch 5 rename the EXTEND.DAT in Vista/Windows 7's "%LOCALAPPDATA%\microsoft\outlook" folder and all other local user profiles.  This should prevent this error.  Please also update the Workaround 3 step 5, since there was no "Exchange Scan" located in the Outlook dialog box as described.

Message was edited by: aladdin9 on 1/14/11 3:02:17 PM CST
        • 1. Re: Outlook 2007 Scanotlk.dll missing, KB57977 inaccurate
          wwarren

If you want a list of reasons why I don't like Outlook, this is on that list.

I'm not sure I can convey very well the disappointment I felt, when hearing that this issue can't be solved.

MS Outlook does provide a way for software vendors to programatically update their extension add-ins, and we use it too, but it's only effective for the next user to open Outlook. This is because the mechanism MSFT provides works one time only.

Now, McAfee could take engineering a custom solution into their own hands, perhaps implementing some code that does one or more of the options you listed or that are in the KB... but that's so kludgey! lol

And then those "solutions" run into their own problems, e.g. You can't manipulate the extend.dat when the Outlook client is open, and we certainly can't force Outlook to close as part of our installation process.

Some McAfee Support folk have gotten pretty creative in sharing solutions with customers who experience this issue. They may work, but they're kludgey, and we're not doing anything special... just trying to automate the existing solutions shown in the KB. Almost anybody could do that.

You may be able to adapt solution 4 to your situation by using a MID custom settings .cab file, if you have a way to distribute it to clients.

I do not expect this to be a problem for folks upgrading from 8.7i to 8.8, but you probably will see it if going from 8.5i to 8.8.

Patch updates should not be relevant for this issue. The repost of the full installer that will include patch 5, and doing upgrades with it, that would have the same issue - true.

The bottom line is, we're using the appropriate method for updating our extension add-in... but Outlook's facilitation for doing so is limited. We have limited options for ways to assist you there (all shown in the KB). And complaining to Microsoft about it didn't seem to yield any new solutions

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Outlook 2007 Scanotlk.dll missing, KB57977 inaccurate
            aladdin9

Thanks for the very well written reply, I would appreciate some more information about creating a MID custom cabinet file.  I wonder if the delete/rename on reboot when Windows patches are installed could be adapted in a custom solution.  Lastly, do you have any information on why " Exchange Scan" is not found in Outlook 2007 per Workarround 3 for Outlook 2007?