Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is locked
4790 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 4:37 AM by Ex_Brit RSS
dubs21 Newcomer 1 posts since
Jan 14, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 14, 2011 4:37 PM

CAN'T UNINSTALL EVEN WITH REMOVAL TOOL!

I have spent the last 6 hours trying to remove any antivirus software and Mcafee has been the MAIN problem. It won't let me open anything and says that

any file I open is INFECTED! I do NOT want to buy any Mcafee software!

When I try to uninstall it, it wont let me do it, and won't let me open task manager.

I want it off my computer immediately.

• ConorD62 Champion 586 posts since
    Apr 9, 2010
    1. Jan 14, 2011 4:55 PM (in response to dubs21)
    Re: CAN'T UNINSTALL EVEN WITH REMOVAL TOOL!

This is not McAfee doing this, this sounds like a rogue is trying to attack you're computer.

Are you sure the program is definitely McAfee?

If you need any help, please send me a message, the same goes for any malware questions.
  • k3tg Veteran 870 posts since
    May 22, 2007
    2. Jan 14, 2011 5:22 PM (in response to dubs21)

I believe a fake antivirus program has compromised your computer because McAfees MCPR removal tool definitely wipes out any legitimate McAfee file that might remain in your system if you were to uninstall the program.

See this document from McAfee for assistance. Please be sure to run the McAfee Stinger scan to see if it finds anything, Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting If you are able to submit any files to McAfee they will be glad to analize them for you. Just follow the instructions.

You can also get another opinion from this free program http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php by downloading this onto a usb stick and renaming the installation and download files to something you can easily remember as virus and malware are written to self protect it self. When you rename the files you can install it onto your computer because these files are no longer posing a threat. Check for the latest updates and run the program and let it clean everything it finds and reboot the computer.

Tom K3TG

Volunteer Moderator
  • ConorD62 Champion 586 posts since
    Apr 9, 2010
    3. Jan 14, 2011 5:30 PM (in response to k3tg)

In other words that I said,

What K3tg said.

Although you could download it through your computer, and rename it iexplore.exe (explore.exe)

If you need any help, please send me a message, the same goes for any malware questions.
  • Wetmoref2 Apprentice 61 posts since
    Apr 26, 2010
    4. Jan 15, 2011 2:41 AM (in response to dubs21)

When removal tools [including Windows Add / Remove Programs application {and the MAC equivilant - if ur a MAC user}] don't get the job done, it's usually because your registry is fubar.

The only complete solution is to use your install disc to format the drive and reinstall your operating system.

Of course, if ur one of those folks who's buying from a chain store or on-line shop, u probably don't have an install disc.

If you don't have an install disc, I suggest you buy one immediately!

As to any "included" software which may have come with your brand name computer, if you've registered what you use with the copyright holders, you should be able to download the software. If you didn't register it... you're outta luck.

If you don't want to spend money on software, you're likely going to have to take your brand name machine to an approved [licensed] repair vendor... for a charge. {I'm assuming, as you're here looking for help, your computer is not under warranty.}

If you don't want to spend money... you may not be able to solve the registry problem. Others will point you to their shareware or freeware of choice... these seldom do anything your operating system could not do.

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,597 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    5. Jan 19, 2011 11:28 PM (in response to dubs21)

ConorD62 may be right, what's happening to you sounds as if one of the rogue AV programs is or was on your PC. There are ways to get rid of them but it helps to know what messages or screens are appearing.

Have you got it fixed yet? If not, take a screenshot (.jpg file will do, smaller size than a .bmp) and attach it to a post so we can see what it is. Then we can recommend a fix.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • tromine Community Leader 205 posts since
    Aug 14, 2006
    6. Jan 20, 2011 8:00 AM (in response to Hayton)

I'm surprised to see solutions like 'format your hard drive' are up here, but nobody has suggested the most obvious solution:  McAfee Virus Removal Service.  Just go to service.mcafee.com and you'll see the link.  Money-back guarantee, so there's no risk.  Seriously, this sounds exactly like a Trojan in a family of malware we have dubbed 'FakeAlert'.  Our Virus Removal guys can almost certainly get this handled.

Tracy Romine
    McAfee Consumer Support Product Manager
    http://community.mcafee.com/community/home/consumer_support_feedback

• Wetmoref2 Apprentice 61 posts since
    Apr 26, 2010
    7. Feb 15, 2013 1:25 AM (in response to tromine)

YOUR TOOLS HAVEN'T DONE DITTLY SQUAT FOR ME!

Removal tool "can't find any McAfee" products on my system! Yet, the registry is filled with empty McAfee folders AND those "Legacy" folders are filled too PLUS those damn folders won't delete!

I've run the remnant removal tool many time since  August 2012: Result = FAIL.

You're customer service folks have run registry tools many times since last September 2012: Result = FAIL.

I've never had any security tool or virus protections other than McAfee.

Every year I have these same stinkin' issues: Desktop Icons; Real Time disabling itself; Updates create system errors; and, the software won't install. This thing hasn't worked correctly [without any error] since 2007!

My McAfee Total Protection has been inoperable since August 2012 when it suddenly disabled itself following an automatic update!

I renewed in December 2012, four licenses, and only my computer failed to run the 2013 software.

I tried reactivating my license: Result = FAIL.

I tried reinstalling from my account: Result = FAIL.

I tried installing from the back-up CD I received with my subscription renewal: Result = INCOMPLETE INSTALLATION ... We were unable to install any of your security products. {Same message I've been getting since August 2012!}

Incidentally, what the heck is with those fly-by screens during the download and installation process? I was on screen share with a McAfee Technicican and he saw the flashes but brushed them off as "normal" -- BULL! Whatever they are it must be related to the incomplete installation! Why is there no user cue?!

My computer is the one computer on the network with the most user specific settings, the fewest "default" settings, I doubt that's a coincidence. Your software is not properly written, it has far too many expectations and almost no user input!

So, you tell me, if not formatting my drive and reloading the software what is to be done?!

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,547 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    8. Feb 15, 2013 4:49 AM (in response to Wetmoref2)

This is someone else's thread and you have already started your own, please don't multi-post, it's pointless and merely causes more work for Moderators and keeps us away from helping others.  Also this thread is over 2 years old so is pointless in rehashing as the software is different now.

Please go with your new thread here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/52460?tstart=0

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/02/13 5:49:18 EST AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend