1 2 3 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 9:41 AM by Odgeuk

Mount Drive and SBFS in Wintech

Hi Guys

Just playing with Wintech for EEPC v5.

Most of the options are much the same as I am familar with from v4 SafeTech but there are two options which I'd like to understand more. THese are

• Mount Drive
      • Mount SBFS as a Drive

From what I can see, you can view the contents of the drive (once authorised and authenticated) using the Wintech>System Tools>A43 File Management Utility. Presumably this is the method one would generally use to recover customer data from an encrypted machine with a broken OS?

So what kind of scenarios would you use Mount Drive and Mount SBFS as a Drive? The last time I used one of these options on a perfectly healthy test machine,  the machine died on reboot. So I think I'd better try to figure out what they are for!

The Wintech Guide is a little light on info:

Mount SBFS as a drive

This option provides quick and easy access to the Endpoint

Encryption File System by mounting it as a drive.

Mount SBFS as a drive

• 1. Re: Mount Drive and SBFS in Wintech
          rbdudani

HI,

Mount SBFS as a drive

Through this option you can Mount SBFS which created by product on hidden sector... Normally you dont have to mount SBFS except extream conditions (like some time it is usefull to clear logs when SBFS is FULL and it is showing error in Client LOG)

Mount drive

Mount drive is simple option through which you can mount any encrypted system drive once you are auhorised and authenticated

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mount Drive and SBFS in Wintech

Careful with both options. Make sure you first check if all disk partitions are fully encrypted, before you attempt to Mount encrypted disk.

• 3. Re: Mount Drive and SBFS in Wintech

Could you give me an example of when you would use Mount Drive? Am I right in saying that it is not neccessary if you are trying to decrypt or repair the machine / HDD which you have booted Wintech from and is only neccessary when perhaps needing to decrypt another HDD from another machine which was encrypted with another installation of SB?

• 4. Re: Mount Drive and SBFS in Wintech

User Data recovery after local Windows corruption (from virus attack, for example).

• 5. Re: Mount Drive and SBFS in Wintech

peter_eepc wrote:

User Data recovery after local Windows corruption (from virus attack, for example).

You wouldn't just authenticate and authorise and then go to System Tools>A43 File Management Utility?

• 6. Re: Mount Drive and SBFS in Wintech

No. You need to activate windows disk filter by disk Mount operation. In some WinTech versions that Mount was automatic. Maybe that is why you are questioning that menu option.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Mount Drive and SBFS in Wintech

So once authenticated and authorised in Wintech, going to the A43 File Management utiltiy will reveal the file system of all the discs. Are you saying that you can't use this utility to recover user's files and folders by exporting them from the machine to a removable drive?

• 8. Re: Mount Drive and SBFS in Wintech

Which utility? WinTech or A43. Once files are visible from A43 or command prompt, you can copy them whenever you like.

• 9. Re: Mount Drive and SBFS in Wintech

Perhaps I'm getting my terminolgies mixed up. I have created a v5 Recovery CD using WinPEBuilder and a script from Simon Hunt's site. I was referring to this whole disc as Wintech.

When I boot to this disc, I get a McAfee background and an options icon. On the options Icon there are what I suppose are WinPE tools and utilites (regedit, notepad etc) and a System Tools and then a McAfee menu.

Using the McAfee Menu, I can do Wintech stuff (Mount Drive, Remove EEPC Emergency Boot etc).

Under the System Tools menu I can also use A43 File Management (which, as long as I've authenticated and authorised previously in WinTech, will show me the file system of all local drives).

So I guess I am wondering why I might ever use "Mount Drive" within the WinTech utility if I can use A43 File Management to recover the user data?

On a similar thing, I just killed my test machine again by selecting "Mount Drive". I selected it, then selected the C: drive from the list of local drives it presented me with. Then nothing really appeared to happen (what IS supposed to happen?) Then later, I rebooted and now the machine starts with a "Unable to mount the SBFS" error.

Confused...me? I do wish the Wintech and SafeTech Administration Guide was a little more helpful.... I still don't exactly know what Mount Drive is really supposed to do . Is it supposed to load the selected file system into a new window or something so I can then manipulate the contents?

EDIT***** I think I understand...........

So usually, you have to do a Mount Drive BEFORE the A43 Utility will show you the file system. But I am finding that I don't need to do this. The file system is simply there in the A43 utility when I go to it (after authenticating in Wintech). So this is what you mean Peter by some versions having Auto-Mount? I see......

Message was edited by: Odgeuk on 13/01/11 08:30:18 CST
                          1 2 3 Previous Next