4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2011 11:29 AM by ConorD62

Update by McAfee : erase all datas of my pc !

This morning I rebooted my PC to finalize the update required by "McAfee Total Protection" ; and now all the data are erased !!! (My Documents, webmail, links... and I need to reinstall Office, etc. !!!

The Vista-restauration to the previous point of backup has no effect.

Any idea ?!!!

• 1. Re: Update by McAfee : erase all datas of my pc !
          Peter M

More details please...

What Vista service pack is this?

Where were these missing files stored?   The usual place or had you moved them to another drive or an unconventional place?

Are you absolutely sure they are missing?

Open SecurityCenter by double-clicking the taskbar icon

Click Navigation (top right)

Click Security Reports - what does that say that is unusual?

Click Quarantined and Trusted Items to see if anything is in there.

McAfee couldn't simply delete everything, it has to be somewhere  assuming McAfee thought it was infected.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/01/11 6:33:21 EST AM
          • 2. Re: Update by McAfee : erase all datas of my pc !

Hi,

Nothing special in the SecurityCenter of McAfee and no viruses identified nor systems problems.

Update - Good news: I just found my files in a hidden system space of my PC !!!  Why... And all the programs stay desactived (IE, Firefox, Webmail, Office...). Perhaps due to the upgrade of Vista, done yesterday ?

I close the question.

Thank you for your answer, Ex_brit.

• 3. Re: Update by McAfee : erase all datas of my pc !
              Peter M

Yesterday was also Microsoft's "Update Tuesday" - so am wondering if that is simply a coincidence or maybe the cause?

It shouldn't have had any effect assuming that your system is SP2 and up to date,  There weren't very many updates yesterday and only one was critical.

Perhaps this is a PC/Vista problem that needs to be asked elsewhere.

There's an excellent Vista help forum here:  http://www.vistax64.com/

Anyway, I'm glad you found your files.

If you feel it was still a McAfee issue perhaps the best approach would be to contact Technical Support Chat via Useful Links at the top of this page

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/01/11 7:14:30 EST AM
              • 4. Re: Update by McAfee : erase all datas of my pc !
                ConorD62

I've recently had trouble with Vista updates, and have had my data deleted, but I found the cause was I was being loaded into a temporary profile, even when logging into my account, so, that might have been the cause for you too.