1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 14, 2011 9:52 AM by Hayton RSS

Port won't open

I am thinking of setting up a server on my computer, but I wanted to mess around with port forwarding first to see if it would even work on my computer/router. The point being to allow outside access to some type of FTP/Web server. After much experimentation, I have come to the conclusion that McAfee Firewall 11.5.141 will not allow me to open ports.

What I have done to conclude this? I have forwarded a test port (36) in my router and and downloaded a port check tool. The only way for me to get that port to be open is to disable McAfee Firewall. I go to incoming event log and it says that the port check company is trying to access port 36, but it blocks it. I go into "ports and system services" and add a rule that allows TCP/UDP connections from port 36, restart the computer, but the firewall still blocks it.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to remedy this situation besides not using McAfee?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Port won't open

I'm not an expert here, but you mention Port 36 : I take it you've already authorised outside access to the other ports that you'll need to have open, especially 80 and 443 for http / https access, and 20 & 21 for FTP access?

Edit - also 445 and 1433, I think. But there are a lot of others which you might need to have open. Somewhere I've got a link to a complete port list, with notes on what each port is used for. But of course, the more ports you've got open the more access points there are for malicious people to access your PC ... it's a judgement call.

You may need to experiment a bit to get it right, but using your PC as a web server should be compatible with McAfee ... although you might need to push the boundaries a little. Trial and error, I suspect.

There are lots of books devoted to this, but the only ones I have are a bit out of date. I may need to pass you on to someone a bit more familiar with this field - I'll ask if anyone can help. Let me know whether you still have a problem once the other ports are authorised for remote access.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 14/01/11 15:52:38 GMT