1 2 3 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 12:50 PM by peter_eepc

ERROR: 0xe005001.  Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed

Hello All,

I'm a new tech at a large company and am just getting familiar with SB/EEPC.

We are running the following versions:

sbadmin.exe, 5, 1, 2, 0, September 14, 2007 11:10:00, 1572864, SafeBoot Administrator, SafeBoot Security System, 5, 1, 2, 0
      SbAdminLib.dll, 5, 1, 2, 0, September 14, 2007 11:08:16, 765952, SafeBoot Admin Library, SafeBoot Security System, 5, 1, 2, 0
      SbAlgs\SBALG.DLL, 4, 2, 11, 0, July 16, 2007 12:32:56, 127036, SafeBoot FIPS AES (256 bit), SafeBoot Security System, 4, 2, 11, 0

I currently have a user whose laptop is booting to "ERROR: 0xe005001.  Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed" message.

I have read several other discussions about this problem or others like it and just wanted to confirm what i've done and next steps.

I'VE DONE SUCCESSFULLY:

1.  Boot from Wintech 5.1.0.1 CD

2.  Authorize with COD

3.  Authenticate from SDB

4.  Load Sector 63 into Workspace

5.  Decrypt Workspace and see "NTLDR is missing..."  confirming correct SDB

6.  Mount Drives C and F - my user has business data they're trying to recover.

NO SUCCESS:

7.  Run A43 util and try to see data - no luck.

8.  No option to Repair SB/EEPC MBR.  If I try to uninstall SB, I get an error that it's not installed.

I don't quite understand what I'm seeing in the DiskInfo screenshots i've included.  The machine has 3 partitions on it.  Disregard Logical Disk 1 aka "D" as it's my external USB drive I stored the SDB on and would normally backup user data to.  But what are these Win95 LBA partitions that are listed?  Partitions 0, 2 and 4 are the correct ones, C, E and F respectively.

Am I at the point of Force Crypting Sectors?  Any pointers?  I'll have to re-read that section of the manual.  Should I clone this drive first?  What's the preferred/unsupported cloning solution?  I have ghost here...  I understand it will need to be a bit-by-bit clone to be successful.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.  I'm just getting up to speed supporting this application.

JR

Message was edited by: jrrjr71 on 1/10/11 5:19:16 PM CST
        • 1. Re: ERROR: 0xe005001.  Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed

Since Disk Information shows 0xe002000a error, no Crypt List is available. So you don't know if all partitions are fully encrypted.

You have two choices to confirm that:

- poke around with Workspace/Decrypt towards the end of physical disk sector range. NTFS should have a backup of boot sector at the end of disk's last partition

- check with EEM if machine object reports full encryption of all three partitions. If it does, then whole disk should be encrypted.

Then you could proceed to Forced Decryption starting at sector 63 and going for 117195119-63+1 sectors (as a sector count). That is:

63 and 117195057 respectively. Your disk seems to be 60GB.

Keep reliable power for system during decryption. After it is done, reboot system with the same CD (Do NOT use WinTech tool to mount disk!) and you should be able to see and copy important data off that disk.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 3. Re: ERROR: 0xe005001.  Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed

Because it won't work if error 0xe002000a shows up (in Disk Information).

• 4. Re: ERROR: 0xe005001.  Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed

peter_eepc, thanks for the info.  I loaded the last sector of the disk and decrypted it.  I saw the same "NTLDR is missing"... info confirming that the entire disk is encrypted - as it should be per our install scripts.

The 2nd partition on the disk is much smaller, only 2gb I think, and is only used for TMP files.  I was thinking about trying a Force Decrypt on just that partition as a test.  Would this be worthwhile?  Starting sector 0058363263 for 4,203,297 sectors ?

I was hoping to image this drive in case of catastrophe before Force Decrypting.  Anyone have any Ghost image experience with SB?

Thanks again,

JR

Message was edited by: jrrjr71 on 1/11/11 8:52:15 AM EST
              • 5. Re: ERROR: 0xe005001.  Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed

What does your machine object show (check using EEM)? Which disks are encrypted?

I would not take any chances and forced decryption of the whole disk.

• 6. Re: ERROR: 0xe005001.  Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed

peter_eepc, I viewed properties for the machine in SB Admin.  Attached is a screenshot.

Both drives are fully encrypted.  The middle, smaller 2gb partition was just a mount point for a folder on the C drive.

So you would go ahead and Force Decrypt entire disk?  You don't recommend trying to image first?

This is a one way process, right?  Either force decrypt will be successful or drive becomes essentially irrecoverable?

Thanks again,

JR

• 7. Re: ERROR: 0xe005001.  Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed

personally I'd just force decrypt the encrypted partitions - no need to do anything else.

And no, if you get it wrong, it's not irrecoverable, you can just re-crypt it. So, write down EXACTLY what you do so you can unwind if needed. And of course, make sure you are using the right key by test decrypting the first sector of the partition to make sure it comes out as a valid partition header.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 8. Re: ERROR: 0xe005001.  Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed

As I said, Force Decrypt (make sure that you use Workspace Decrypt sector 63 - to make sure encryption key is active) that whole sector range.

Skipping parts of disk won't be any faster (2GB is small in comparison with whole 60GB disk) and you may encounter additional complications. So it is not worth doing piecemeal decryption.

• 9. Re: ERROR: 0xe005001.  Endpoint Encryption for PC is not installed
                        and you may encounter additional complications.

As opposed to "you will CERTAINLY encounter additional issues" when your mount partition which was not encrypted in the first place, suddenly becomes encrypted....

I recomend you do one partition at a time, and remember that mount points are NOT supported in EEPC (see the release notes), so if C: was something funky, it may not be encrypted as you expect. The client translates drive letters to sector ranges, but does not understand spanning or hard mounted folders etc, so you need to be careful as to how you translate "C:" to what the client would translate "C:" to be.

If you have another machine with a similar setup, you can compare the disk info screens to see exactly how it handled the odd situation.

again, only BASIC mbr partitions are supported, anything else is best guess. 

1 2 3 Previous Next