Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
13987 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2011 4:52 PM by Ex_Brit RSS
chesterthebear Newcomer 2 posts since
Jan 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 9, 2011 7:23 PM

McAfee Installed Itself.  Again!

Why does McAfee install itself on my computer without my permission?  I don't want it, I don't need it, and I certainy didn't give it permission to install.

Let me make that absolutely clear to you. I did not download McAfee.  I did not agree to it being installed with some other package.  Yet there it was, installed, operating, and wreaking havoc because it was obviously conflicting with my already installed protection package.  (I'm thinking it was somehow built into the last Adbobe update, but I can't be sure because I didn't get any warning it would happen.)  You are responsible.  It's your software.  Don't try to tell me that you don't know how it got there and can't be held responsible for third parties because its your code that is installed.  You had to give it to them, and you have to know they're installing it by stealth.

Why, when you uninstall McAfee, does it not actually uninstall?  Oh, it looks like it's all gone, but no... it just keeps running in the background somewhere, even after reboot.  To do actually uninstall McAfee, I had to download a separate uninstall file.  (See your own support page on uninstalling.)  Uninstall ought to mean uninstall.  Do you seriously think I'm going to eventually say "ah screw it, I'll just uninstall AVG and re-install McAfee"?  It's never going to happen!

And who do I invoice for my time in identifying this problem, finding a solution, and cleaning your virus off my computer?  Seriously, there's an invoice coming.  It took three hours to figure out why Outlook wasn't sending mail with attachments.  That's three hours of my life I'll never get back, and three hours of my time (at weekend late night rates) that you ought to be paying for.

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,556 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    1. Jan 10, 2011 5:58 AM (in response to chesterthebear)
    Re: McAfee Installed Itself. Again!

Have you installed Adobe - any product - lately, or updated it?    Look in the Control Panel Program list for McAfee Security Scan Plus and uninstall it if it's there.

With certain Adobe downloads or updates there is an option to install McAfee Security Scan Plus which you must uncheck first.

With other Adobe downloads there is an option for Norton Security Scan also so it isn't just McAfee that's doing it.

Other software comes with these options too so it helps to be observant when installing and/or updating said software.

It is simply a security scan as its name implies and is harmless and easy to uninstall in a few seconds.

If the software installed is the full McAfee Antivirus Plus, Internet Security Suite or Total Protection then we never forcibly install that, however it does come with many PC's sold in stores and online and from many internet service providers as part of the package you purchase or rent.

Also, if you have used System Restore it's possible you restored to a point where the software was installed...just a thought.

If you want to remove every vestige of McAfee then use the MCPR removal tool (reboot required afterwards).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/01/11 6:58:34 EST AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    May 6, 2004
    3. Jan 10, 2011 8:03 AM (in response to chesterthebear)

chesterthebear wrote:

I updated Adobe CS4.

What was installed was the Internet Security Suite.

There was NO option regarding installation of McAfee, Norton or anything else.  It was just an update.

And yes, already uninstalled it, some weeks ago when it first appeared, but after weeks of slow responses, mail malfunctions and other sundry issues, I finally tracked the problem back to McAfee and its failure to uninstall in the first instance.  I then used MCPR yesterday and voila... all the problems have gone away.  Remarkable.  Three hours of my life gone... for what?  So you can try and sell me some software I don't want?

Three things disturb me with all of this.

The first is that McAfee denies that it can happen.  Sorry guys, you're misinformed.  Someone's not telling the truth.  It happens, and from my web searches yesterday when I was trying to track the Outlook problems, I'm not the only person it's happened to.

The second is that it happens at all... that is, an unwanted internet protection package that conflicts with my own (AVG) package installs itself on my computer without my permission.  If it wasn't McAfee, I'd be calling it a virus.

And third, that 'uninstall' doesn't actually 'uninstall', and for that, I need to run another program.  Don't viruses behave like that too?

I'm not trying to insinuate anything but you must have overlooked something.  Unless there was an option for a free trial of the software with CS4 there is no way for it to simply install itself.  Internet Security Suite is a very large download which would take several minutes even with a high speed connection, also a retail product, hardly something that would simply appear out of the blue, so you would have had to agree to the free trial EULA.  Security Scan Plus by comparison is small and again is an option with some Adobe downloads and has to be unchecked if you don't want it.  As mentioned earlier Norton does the same thing with other Adobe downloads.

If you feel you deserve compensation for your time this is the wrong place to seek it as we are simply users like yourself providing peer support in our spare time.  You should contact your local Customer Service by phone, linked under Customer Service in Useful Links above.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/01/11 9:03:00 EST AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
  • unconsenting Newcomer 1 posts since
    Nov 15, 2011
    4. Nov 15, 2011 12:18 AM (in response to Ex_Brit)

I'm not trying to insinuate anything but you must have overlooked something.  Unless there was an option for a free trial of the software with CS4 there is no way for it to simply install itself.

http://aihdownload.adobe.com/bin/install_flashplayer11x32_mssa_aih.exe

I got this directly from youtube after installing firefox
    youtube said "You must update your adobe, click here"

This program downloads adobe, whiel simultaniously downloading McMalware in the lower pane, and then, without so much as a prompt or even a pause , begins immediately installing it! WTF? Now I fear it's sunk its tendtrills into and bloated my registry and system with taproots I will never be able to find and remove. All without my consent. I google search on "Where the **** did McAfee come from" brought me here, comments on adobe lead me to checking out my downloads list and I uninstalled and reran the downlaod that is supposed to "update adobe" and this is what I discovered. I am disappointed this company suckers volunteers into taking the flak of their tresspasses. Do you even have any contact with this responsible? Or do they ignore you too, leaving the noble volunteer to be their scapegoat?

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,363 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    5. Nov 15, 2011 3:59 AM (in response to unconsenting)

Some program from adobe offer in the fine print to install Mcafee security scan program. It is a program that scans your PC. It is really trying to get you to buy the full program. Just do not tick the option or just go and  uninstall it via control panel.

I assume this what you were talking about? Was this what was installed?

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• pgustafs Newcomer 2 posts since
    Dec 21, 2011
    6. Dec 21, 2011 4:43 PM (in response to chesterthebear)

The same things is happening to me on my mac.  Every day around 1p the previously uninstalled verion of mcafee security (ver 1.1.0 (1309) reinstalls itself on my mac....without any mac prompts for authorization.  very scary that this product can fly under the radar of the administrator!   the uninstall procedure I use is the one documented on your website...sudo /usr/local/McAfee/uninstallMSC

May 6, 2004
    7. Dec 21, 2011 4:52 PM (in response to pgustafs)

In the case of MAC's support is here:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/system/vs-other but to return to the Adobe updater including McAfee Security Scan Plus issue, surely whomever is downloading these updates can tell the Adobe updater not to include that?  Sorry In these sections we have no idea how MAC's work.

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend