3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2011 8:19 AM by Dinz

Real-time scan incompatible with Steinberg WaveLab v4.0

I have used McAfee SecurityCenter for years on my Win XP Pro SP3 system, with hardware well within the minimum hardware requirements.  All the latest updates have been applied according to the Security Center console.  Nothing on the computer has been updated/installed/deleted for months .. no new hardware, no software, nothing at all.  I do a lot of audio editing, mainly .WAV and .MP3 format files, using a variety of programs including Steinberg's WaveLab v 4.0.

Suddenly within the past week, something has changed such that if I enable real-time scanning and try to run WaveLab, mcshield.exe uses 100% of the CPU, rendering my system unusable. WaveLab never fully launches, either.  The 100% CPU usage continues for an indefinite length of time; I've let it run for a couple of hours just to see if it would ever go back to normal levels.  If I turn off real-time scanning before running WaveLab, it launches just fine and I can edit/load/save .WAV files as normal. If I turn off real-time scanning, launch WaveLab, then turn ON real-time scanning, mcshield.exe jumps up to 100% usage and stays there, and I'm dead in the digital water.

This never happend until about a week ago.  It also doesn't occur with any of the other audio editing programs I used .. just WaveLab.  I know I can work around it by turning off real-time scanning while I'm editing with WaveLab, but that's just a hack.

From the About panel:

-------------------------------

McAfee Security Center

Version: 10.5

Build: 10.5.221

AffId: 105

Last update: 12/15/2010

McAfee VirusScan

Version 14.5

Build: 14.5.130

Last Update: 1/9/2011

DAT Version: 6220

DAT Creation Date: 1/8/2011

Engine Version: 5400.1158

• 1. Re: Real-time scan incompatible with Steinberg WaveLab v4.0
          Dinz

Thanks for the inforamtion provided, just  as to dril it down a little further,

Please try to disable Access protection temporarily and let us know the status of Steinberg Wavelab ??

1. Double-click the M icon in your taskbar.
          2. Click Navigation.
          3. Select About. Note the name of your product suite (for example, McAfee Total Protection, McAfee Anti-Virus Plus).
          4. Click the X to close the About window.
          5. Select General Settings and Alerts.
          6. Open the Access Protection drawer.
          7. Deselect the option Use Access Protection.

Please try to run the programs post the above step and update us the status.

Regards,

Dinz

• 2. Re: Real-time scan incompatible with Steinberg WaveLab v4.0

Thanks for the response!

The product is 'McAfee Security Center'

When I turn off 'Use Access Protection' the system behaves differently.  When I launch WaveLab, mcshield.exe still goes to 100% CPU.  However, about about 2 minutes WaveLab succeeds in launching (for reference, WaveLab normally launches in 1-2 seconds). For another minute or so afterwar WaveLab starts up, mcshield, mcagent, and some of the other McAfee processes trade off and take anywhere from 50-100% CPU.  After _that_, McAfee process CPU usage drops down to 1-2%, which is what I used to see before this all started.  From then on things are fine .. WaveLab and other programs on the computer operate just fine.

Message was edited by: mhembree on 1/10/11 10:19:18 PM CST
            • 3. Re: Real-time scan incompatible with Steinberg WaveLab v4.0
              Dinz

Hi ,

Please try to submith the exe file of the programs to Web-Immune, You can directly upload individual files to McAfee's automated systems. When you submit a sample through http://WebImmune.net, you will be asked to provide information about your operating system, the Anti-Virus product you are using, and any additional information about the files that you are submitting. Filling out this information as completely as possible will assist Avert in processing your sample quickly.

If you have an individual file to submit, log on to http://webimmune.net and click Scan A File, then browse to the location of the file.

If you have multiple files to submit, use WinZip or a similar file compression utility to create a .ZIP archive. The archive must be less than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, you must password-protect the archive with the password infected. Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.

For additional analysis, use Email option : All files submitted via email must be packaged in a .ZIP archive. The archive must be less than 3 megabytes in size and can contain no more than 30 files. Additionally, you must password-protect the archive with the password infected. Failure to follow these guidelines will cause your submission to be rejected.

NOTE: If you are submitting a Spyware sample, the subject of the email must be MAS Content.

After the submission is been received, you would be contacted by McAfee through email letting you know the status of the file, if deemed to be false positive , it would be autocorrected which would help us to proceed further with the issue.  Please keep me posted on the outcome.

Regards,
              Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator