4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 7:47 AM by mark.tizzard

Edit exported xml policy schemas

mark.tizzard

May be a stupid question but does anyone know if you can export a schema from ePO, edit it usint notepad or similar and then import it back into ePO? Specifically for making long lists of exclusions with fewer mouse clicks...

Thanks

Mark

• 1. Re: Edit exported xml policy schemas

Hi Mark,

I have been trying to do the same thing with mass changes to scan exclusions for On Access scanning.  I would think that it is why the import/export ability exists, bulk changes and being able to share policies.

The only thing I have modified is one of the sections (Server_Default-Exclusions) and from what I can see, as long as you keep numbers incrementing without missing it won't complain.  The policy I have been playing with also has a total number of entries for the section which obviously needs to match up with the number of entries.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Edit exported xml policy schemas

Soapsandwich wrote:

Hi Mark,

I have been trying to do the same thing with mass changes to scan exclusions for On Access scanning.  I would think that it is why the import/export ability exists, bulk changes and being able to share policies.

The only thing I have modified is one of the sections (Server_Default-Exclusions) and from what I can see, as long as you keep numbers incrementing without missing it won't complain.  The policy I have been playing with also has a total number of entries for the section which obviously needs to match up with the number of entries.

I've seen people edit it and re-import etc ... and yes it does work.

But, as commented, I don't believe this is "recommended" behaviour, and it could cause issues if typos are made when editing etc...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Edit exported xml policy schemas

You're right, you do need to be careful, but it sure beats the hell out of an hour of point and click..........

• 4. Re: Edit exported xml policy schemas
                mark.tizzard

Thanks for the input! 

Mark