Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
9180 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2011 7:16 AM by mongo RSS
kevin252010 Newcomer 1 posts since
Jan 7, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 7, 2011 7:57 AM

McAfee slows down my internet connection please help

Hello my name is Kevin,

My McAfee is slowing down my internet connection. For example: my gmail, my Netflix, and my Netflix on my Nintendo Wii.

I know that I download torrents, however, I do stop them when my internet connention gets slowed.

I also used McAfee speed test and it said my internet connection speed was working just fine. Sometimes even while I was downloading some torrents.

Sometimes my gmail said I have a "slow connection" but it has a green light.

What I have brought was a McAfee Interent Security. This is the one I wanted because I wanted a anti virus for my internet. I am not sure if I brought the right one? However, it is all I could afford.

I am afraid to turn off my Firewall because I think it will help my internet connenction go faster.

Can some one help me please. I need to know what to turn off on my McAfee Internet Security to get these sites working faster. I also have DSL and I use Firefox 3.6 with Google. I do not want to use Yahoo and I don't how do change Firefox as my default browser.

Thank you.

• Champion 661 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007

Please clarify/try the following:

1.    What is the version of Internet Explorer & Fire Fox that you are using?

2.    What type of internet connection is that? (DSL, Cable, Fiber Optic…etc.)

3.    How long you are using McAfee on this computer?

4.    Did/do you have any other security program installed in your computer? If yes, what are they?

5.    What is the configuration of your computer?

6.    To make a browser an default one, Open Mozilla Fire Fox, when it prompts as “do you want to make Fire Fox as your default browser” just click Yes.

• mongo Newcomer 3 posts since
    Jan 14, 2011
    2. Jan 14, 2011 6:50 AM (in response to Aldrin)
    Re: McAfee slows down my internet connection please help

This is happening to me, and I can't figure out how to turn off "Site Advisor" which seems to be part of the problem.  When I navigate to websites with the Task Manager open, I can see McAffee using a great deal of my resources.  I'm using:

1 internet explorer 8

2 DSL

3 about a week

4 AMD Turion 2GHZ, 1.5gb ram, windows xp sp3

I got McAffee as part of an Office Depot option (huge mistake going there btw).  As it apparently doesn't stop the reason I got it in the first place (system tool 2011) it seems I should go back to Avast!.  With Avast! and Ad-Aware, my laptop was a rocketship, and I had no problems for 5 years.  McAfee has turned it into a Yugo.

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,600 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    3. Jan 14, 2011 8:51 AM (in response to mongo)

Kevin, if you want to know whether McAfee software is slowing down your internet data transfer rates, you're probably going to have to do a little investigative research to find out where the underlying problem is. First place to start is with your ISP - check with them what your promised upload and download speeds should be, then use a couple of the available speed testers to check their figures. Don't rely on just one, pick a few in different locations and compare results. And run the tests at different times of the day and night, because overall net speeds are highly dependent on net traffic, which peaks and troughs as different population centres go on- and off-line. Once you've got an idea of actual speeds (up- and downloads) ask your ISP whether they are throttling your traffic - bit-torrent users can get penalised sometimes as being bandwidth-hoggers. Then come back and tell us the results, and we'll take from there.

I will say that bit-torrent traffic is reckoned to be pretty unsafe from a PC security aspect, but, hey, I've done it myself so who am I to criticise.

Mongo, if you're using IE8 I advise checking the performance for a set of your favourite websites with IE8, Firefox, and Chrome. Chrome is optimised for fast performance and is also (so says Google) a Very Safe Browser. IE8 on my machine (XP SP3, 2GHz, 1Gb memory) is slow and is a memory hog, but I stick with it on the grounds that I'm out to spot problems and IE8 will definitely let me know about them first ... :-)

And yes, McAfee takes up a lot of resources. Trouble is, the developers are all working on super-fast mega-memory state-of-the-art machines, and they forget the poor users like you and me with less-than-perfect setups .... it was the same when I was a developer, it was always an effort to remember that not everyone had access to the facilities and constant upgrades that I was used to. But, to give them credit, when the McAfee developers spot (or are told to find) inefficient parts of the program, they sort it out pretty fast.

I thought it was possible to shut down SiteAdvisor but I don't see it as an option in Control Panel's Add/Remove programs list. I'll ask someone if it can still be done, but it may now have been tightly integrated into the package so no promises at this stage.

Ah. This is from the McAfee Help section for Anti-Spam :

If #Anti-Spam directs you to a safe page when you visit a website that you know is safe, you can add it to your phishing whitelist. The whitelist contains websites that you trust, so these websites are not filtered. You do not need to add sites like Google, Yahoo!, or #McAfee, because these are known legitimate websites.

#SiteAdvisor® and #Anti-Spam share the same technology to provide phishing protection. When #SiteAdvisor is installed, #Anti-Spam relies on #SiteAdvisor for its built-in anti-phishing protection. In this case, #SiteAdvisor manages the whitelist.

So yes, it's integrated. I don't think disabling it would be easy. And that's why SiteAdvisor gets busy when you access a web site. There's a lot of site checking to be done, both at the higher levels (Is it reported anywhere as unsafe?) and lower levels (Is there any unsafe code being downloaded?). It means the software is doing its job, hopefully both efficiently (fast) and effectively (finding and blocking malware).

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,354 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    4. Jan 14, 2011 4:37 PM (in response to Hayton)

1 thing to ask is what is your version of site advisor and is it the live version or free 1

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• mongo Newcomer 3 posts since
    Jan 14, 2011
    5. Jan 15, 2011 7:16 AM (in response to Hayton)

Thanks for the detailed response Hayton - I'm giving Chrome a go, and it's MUCH faster.  Checking the task manager, Chrome uses no or only 2% going page to page.  While while this is great, it's obviously a bit disturbing, as the pages just aren't getting checked at all.

Chrome is rather strange.  I dislike change, but I've also have been getting "Explorer has encountered error & needs to close" incessantly lately.  Next up for a computer is a MacBook Air.

Peacekeeper, my McAffee version is pain for as part of the $150 I wasted at Office Depot.  More than wasted, considering how much time I spent trying to un-delete my pics after the guy formatted my drive.  Recuva is an awesome program, btw.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points