1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 2:17 PM by RRMX

DAT 6218 & Toad (Quest software)

There is a similar post pertaining to DAT 6217 & Toad (Quest software) , and it seems that TOAD (mine is 10.1) is behaving very slowly, if not unresponsive, when using DAT 6218.

What's wrong with the DAT files that Mcafee is releasing.  I need to have my current DAT file to be rolled back to 6216 for me to use TOAD.

Obviously, I cannot add TOAD to my exclusion list since the workstation that I am using is controlled centrally by some EPO.

Mcafee need to release a working DAT file for older versions of TOAD and have this application be thoroughly tested and integreatd first into their pre-DAT release testing before they upload it in their update servers.

This is the reason why I cannot upgrade to the later versions of TOAD.

• 1. Re: DAT 6218 & Toad (Quest software)

Is it just me? or is there anybody else experiecing the same fate for DAT 6218 and TOAD?

• 2. Re: DAT 6218 & Toad (Quest software)

spike wrote:

Is it just me? or is there anybody else experiecing the same fate for DAT 6218 and TOAD?

Just spoke to one of my Toad users. 6217 definately had huge issues. 6218 is also suspected as causing issues.

I'm testing the Extra.dat available from https://support.quest.com/Search/SolutionDetail.aspx?id=SOL58403&category=Soluti ons&SKB=1 (Have also requested it from McAfee - but Oracle have it already available).

Chat to your Admins, and see if they will help. As your machine is centrally managed, there isn't much you can do without their assistance.

Message was edited by: mjmurra on 7/01/11 12:26:49 PM
            • 3. Re: DAT 6218 & Toad (Quest software)
              Wyle

Hello

We have the same issue with Toad 9.5 since DAT 6217. An exclusion of the folder C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\ in On-Access High Risk Processes and On-Access Default Processes didn't solve it.

mjmurra wrote:

I'm testing the Extra.dat available from https://support.quest.com/Search/SolutionDetail.aspx?id=SOL58403&category=Soluti ons&SKB=1 (Have also requested it from McAfee - but Oracle have it already available).

Thanks mjmurra for the link, it seems the Extra.dat solves the issue (just verified on a testclient, still awaiting feedback from affected users), but only in addition to the exclusions I mentioned above. Just the Extra.dat without exclusions didn't solve the issue.

regards

• 4. Re: DAT 6218 & Toad (Quest software)
                Regis

Talking with Mcafee support who talked with someone in L2 after a 40 minute hold.

Supposedly, whatever magic is in the extra.dat will be in the "next" DAT.   I've asked for specifics as to what DAT number the "next" DAT supposedly is, so we know for sure when to expect relief on this.

I'm also trying to figure out how to make sure Quest Software is part of the QA process-- anyone here have any contacts in the appropriate McAfee organization?   This is the second time in a year something DAT related has messed with Quest stuff in some way. I recall a false positive some time in the last year where McAfee was deleting some Quest components and thinking they were malware.

• 5. Re: DAT 6218 & Toad (Quest software)

Yes!!   Just started happening yesterday when a workstation was updated to 6217.  Uninstalled/reinstalled McAfee 2 times and still the same problem.  Had to uninstall McAfee to get Toad to work.

• 6. Re: DAT 6218 & Toad (Quest software)
                    jmcleish

Supposedly, whatever magic is in the extra.dat will be in the "next" DAT.   I've asked for specifics as to what DAT number the "next" DAT supposedly is, so we know for sure when to expect relief on this.

Well lets hope they add in some other magic cos the extra dat doesn't work (including exclusions) for my clients that are affected!!!

i have actually had to change my policy and allow users to stop mcshield service to allow them to work!

not exactly ideal!

Message was edited by: jmcleish on 07/01/11 09:00:14 CST
                    • 7. Re: DAT 6218 & Toad (Quest software)
                      Regis

rjobe wrote:

Yes!!   Just started happening yesterday when a workstation was updated to 6217.  Uninstalled/reinstalled McAfee 2 times and still the same problem.  Had to uninstall McAfee to get Toad to work.

https://support.quest.com/Search/SolutionDetail.aspx?id=SOL58403&category=Soluti ons&SKB=1

is apparently the best advice thus far--but doesn't work for everyone.   I'd encourage anyone affected by this to open tickets mentioning Quest and Toad, squeaky wheel theory, and the like.

After an hour and 5 minutes, (most of which l1 spent on hold trying to get to L2), I was emailed the extra.dat and an indication that it'd be included in the "next" DAT.  Attempts to get a DAT number and a release time for that were unsuccessful.

• 8. Re: DAT 6218 & Toad (Quest software)
                        Regis

jmcleish wrote:

Well lets hope they add in some other magic cos the extra dat doesn't work (including exclusions) for my clients that are affected!!!

i have actually had to change my policy and allow users to stop mcshield service to allow them to work!

not exactly ideal!

Terrible.   jmcleish --    to summarize,  can you say what versions of toad you're dealing with on those affected clients, and what dat+extra dat is still broken for them?

Yeah-- we're not real crazy about being on DAT's that are 2 days old, but are glad to have averted the mess thus far.

• 9. Re: DAT 6218 & Toad (Quest software)
                          jmcleish

I mentioned this in the other post (6217 post) https://community.mcafee.com/message/167743#167743

Toad v  9.7.2.5 and also got a user to update to latest version of toad freeware (10.6.0.42) and its the same - they are now on 6128+extra dat - although i noticed that the extra dat doen't show in the about viruscan page. it shows that its loaded only via the oas log.

yes- well I've not received any info back yet about my case since i emailed this morning - nor any superdat!

1 2 Previous Next