6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2011 3:44 PM by Peter M

Unable to load Quarantined Files.

Hello

Im Running on a Windows XP version and whenever I try to open up my quarantined files or my potentially unwanted programs it seems to just keep loading forever and ever with the little circle icon, i was wondering if their is anyway for me to delete all of those quarantined files so I can actually load the files to see what I can trust, any help would be great thank you.

• 1. Re: Unable to load Quarantined Files.
          Dinz

Could you please let us know the following information;

How old is the computer ?
          What is the version of McAfee virus scan ?

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Unable to load Quarantined Files.

Saw this (unanswered) posting; I'm having the same problem.

My computer is about 3 years old, a dell laptop with a core 2 duo CPU at 2.2Ghz, 4GB ram, running Vista SP-2.

I'm currently running VirusScan v14.5 (build 14.5.130).

Navigating to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine manually, there are some 33,146 files in the folder dating back to 5/8/2010 (along with one single file called mcqt.txt dated 9/25/2009).I can't delete the file manually.   

Working through the security center navigation panel, when I click on "Quarantined and Trusted Items" link, it worked fine.  The "Trusted Items" and "Quarantined Items" links work fine as well.  The "Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs" link leads to what appears to be a file listing (same as the other two), but the "wait" icon displays forever.  Eventually I get a couple of messages about a running script that is slowing down internet explorer (which wasn't running at the time), but it never did come back and even given me the option of deleting files.

Thoughts?

• 3. Unable to load Quarantined Files.
              Hayton

If you can see those quarantined files in Windows you're better off deleting them all (except the mcqt.txt file, which might be needed for the quarantining to work). Doing it from McAfee takes forever because they're all protected, encrypted, set in cement ... each one has to be extracted, unprotected, unencrypted, and deleted. And doing it is very very slow. That's why the script says everything's running slow : it really is. Nothing else can get a look in.

So find the directory, check its Properties and uncheck anything that's ticked (Hidden, Read-only). Make sure that that gets propagated to every file in the directory before you start. Then Select All Files (but unselect mcqt,txt) and delete them with a clear conscience. There'll be another lot along tomorrow  :-)

• 4. Re: Unable to load Quarantined Files.
                Peter M

talanpoe wrote:

Saw this (unanswered) posting; I'm having the same problem.

My computer is about 3 years old, a dell laptop with a core 2 duo CPU at 2.2Ghz, 4GB ram, running Vista SP-2.

I'm currently running VirusScan v14.5 (build 14.5.130).

Navigating to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine manually, there are some 33,146 files in the folder dating back to 5/8/2010 (along with one single file called mcqt.txt dated 9/25/2009).I can't delete the file manually.   

Working through the security center navigation panel, when I click on "Quarantined and Trusted Items" link, it worked fine.  The "Trusted Items" and "Quarantined Items" links work fine as well.  The "Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs" link leads to what appears to be a file listing (same as the other two), but the "wait" icon displays forever.  Eventually I get a couple of messages about a running script that is slowing down internet explorer (which wasn't running at the time), but it never did come back and even given me the option of deleting files.

Thoughts?

Delete the contents of that folder (NOT the folder itself) by using Edit/Select All then click Shift - Delete simultaneously & OK any UAC prompts.

But first in order to do that you have to turn off Access Protection in SecurityCenter

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter.

Click Navigation (top-right)

Click General Settings and Alerts (mid-left)

Click Access Protection to expand...Uncheck it and click Apply.

Don't forget to re-enable it afterwards.

As Hayton says not all the items will delete but the vast majority of them will.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/03/11 8:23:03 EST PM
                • 5. Unable to load Quarantined Files.

Thanks for the very clear instructions, Ex_Brit! 

Until I read them, I was having major frustrations with an error message of "Destination folder access denied"; the Access Protection step took care of that issue.

FYI, the now-33,300+ files were still overloading Windows Explorer.  I had to resort to a cmd prompt (running under Administrator privileges) to actually accomplish the deletion.

All appears to be well now with me.  Thanks all!

• 6. Unable to load Quarantined Files.
                    Peter M

Glad it helped and I noted your point about Windows Explorer and that high number of files.

It was my understanding that only 30 days-worth of files would be kept, but in this area, obviously that isn't the case and probably only applies to the logs.

I reduced drastically the number of quarantined items by turning off the detection for tracking cookes.

Open SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real Time Protection

Uncheck Tracking Cookies

Click Apply

It's your option of course.