3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 3:02 PM by Dinz

Security Center will not Close

Hope some one can help:

I have a subscription to Virus Scan Plus via Dell.  The sub has five licenses.  Four laptops and a desktop.  Two of the laptops are IBM Thinkpads.  One is a T42 and the other is a T40.  The problem has occured on the T40.  Whenever you open Security Center for an update or manual scan, the Security Center window will not close.  Each time the window is closed with the "X" in the upper right, the window immediately reopens.  The probblem began when my daughter swapped hard drives in the two IBM machines.  The T42 LCD display died and she needed some data from it.  She thought she could simply swap the hard drives and and retrieve her data.  After struggling with different drivers and such she decided to return the hard drives.

From that time on, Mcafee has presented this problem.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Mcafee multiple times.  I have used the removal tool.  I have scanned the machine with Malwarebytes thinking/hoping there was a hidden problem I had not found.  All to no avail.  I have scanned the machine with Mcafee Virtual Technician.  Got a "All OK" response.  Had a chat session with a Mcafee technician who was sure a reinstall was all that was needed.  He/She performed a remote removal/reinstall.  Still the window would not close.  I have deactivated licenses and performed reinstalls.  Again I come up with bupkus.

Been a Mcafee fan up till now and all seems good with my other machines, but currently at my wits end with this problem.  Thanks for any input

• 1. Re: Security Center will not Close
          k3tg

I wonder if the McAfee tecnician ran the preinstall tool during the remote session that occurred? Since we do not know for sure would you mind trying it?

You will nee to uninstall again and reboot, run the MCPR removal tool and reboot, run the preinstall tool http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.e xe and reboot again and then login to your online McAfee account and download and reinstall your software and see if the issue is corrected. If not try the chat again and ask them to escalate your case and that will get a higher level of tech support involved.

• 2. Re: Security Center will not Close

Thanks I'll give this a try!...... Unfortunately, you suggestion didn't resolve the issue.  I recontacted support and they suggested I need an upgrade from IE 7 to IE 8.  I reluctantly concededand after the 15 min upgrade the problem persisted.  Teir 2 support was unavailable so I am still bamboozeled.

Message was edited by: funknbr49 on 1/3/11 10:17:26 PM CST
            • 3. Re: Security Center will not Close
              Dinz

Hi there,

Could you please provide me with the session id that you received from MVT. If not captured, the last ime please re-run the Virtual technician from http://mvt.mcafee.com and post me your session id .

Also, please provide me some of the following answers;

Do you have any other virus scanner installed n the machine ?

Check if the machine has all the latest windows updates.

What is the operating system of the computer ?