8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2011 4:31 PM by Peacekeeper

Problem at Start-up

About 2-3 minutes after my computer is turned on, it freezes up for a few minutes and I think that's when McAfee downloads it updates.

During this time, I am locked up and cannot use the computer.  While this isn't the end of the world, it's annoying.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Problem at Start-up
          k3tg

Could you tell us some info about your computer such as operating system, how you connect to the internet, if you previously had any security software installed, when did this problem first start occurring, if you ever had any virus or malware issues.

Have you tried to run the McAfee Virtual technician? MVT will scan your computer for any McAfee related issues and if it finds any it will attem,pt to resolve them. MVT can be found under Useful Links in the Technical Support link,

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problem at Start-up
            Peacekeeper

Big point is what version of Mcafee have you? The latest 10.5 does not update on boot but at 4 hourly intervals.

• 3. Re: Problem at Start-up

Thanks, Tom.

I have McAfee Total Protection, which was installed about a month ago when I changed from Norton.  Norton had the same lock up problem at start up.  (Perhaps this has nothing to do with McAfee.) 

I know of  no virus or malware issues and the McAfee scans are clean.

My machine runs MS Vista and I connect to the Internet using a DSL wireless router.

I ran the Virtual Technician and it found no problems.

• 4. Re: Problem at Start-up
                k3tg

When you removed Norton did you use the Norton removal tool to completely get rid of all traces of Norton? Most all software companies have these tools available because most computer operating systems always seem to leave something behind that normal uninstalling fails to get out 100 percent.

Can you post what version of McAfee software you are using?

• 5. Re: Problem at Start-up

I went to Norton in my programs and clicked "uninstall."  That's about all I can tell you.

Where do I go to figure out which version of McAfee I have?  All I'm finding is "McAfee Total Protection."

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Problem at Start-up
                    k3tg

This is the link I found for the Norton removal tool http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&selected_nav=&pv id=&docurl=20080828154508EN

The latest information concerning your McAfee products can be found by clicking the red M shield in your taskbar to open Total Protection then open Navigation Center then look for About on the left side and it should tell you the version details there. You could also post a screenshot of the results from running the McAfee Virtual Technician along with the session id number should the McAfee moderator need it for further research. This being New Years Day and the weekend, I doubt anyone from McAfee will respond till the first of the week.

on 1/1/11 11:01:53 AM EST
                    1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Problem at Start-up

Thanks very much, Tom.

I ran the Norton Removal Tool.  Let's see if that fixes my problem.

I never guessed that "uninstalling" the product wouldn't "remove" it.

• 8. Re: Problem at Start-up
                        Peacekeeper

The same thing is with Mcafee you need to run the  MCPR tool  to remove Mcafee.