1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2011 2:49 PM by Peacekeeper

So upset w/mcafee- updater and chat

I had a chat session yesterday where they took control of CPU and reinstalled mcafee since it wasnt working correctly thought that solved my problem but nope. Flashforward to today-- virus DAT will not update, automatic updates dont work, manual updates dont work. Virtual tech caught the out of date DAT once and said it couldnt fix it, since then it doesnt even pick up on it, scan works but doesnt have right info to check. I have attempted to connect with chat 7 times today each time it says "your representative is ready or is here, but no window ever opens. I have turned pop ups on, reinstalled mcafee AGAIN, and even installed firefox to see if that would help. I called customer service who didnt understand what i was asking suggested i use chat (duh....i already explained it didnt work) THEN they hung up on me.

I have had mcafee for 4 years with NO problems.....in the past 2 months nothing but problem after problem. I have an infected desktop that i cannot even get online and now i have a laptop with virtually no way to update mcafee.

ready to demand a refund...i have spent all day on this

• 1. Re: So upset w/mcafee- updater and chat

how long does it usually take to get a response here (minutes or days) im brand new to posting here

• 2. Re: So upset w/mcafee- updater and chat

Sounds like you need to do a fresh install of windows, or scan with SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes(both free programs), first to see if it resolves your problems.

• 3. Re: So upset w/mcafee- updater and chat
              Peacekeeper

1st we have to notice your post as this forum unfortunately does not have a unanswered post widget that actually goes to posts that noone replied to. Lucky I saw you posted during my spammer scan of new members.

2nd we Volunteer mods do have a life.

3 It is xmas new year break even we have problems getting techs in US or elsewhere to answer us

4 Try below malware cleaning suggestions note some malware disable updating antivirus programs. Because of this you have to be sneaky.

Update your dat files and scan your PC with Virusscan in Safe Mode.

To do this, tap F8 repeatedly while booting up. You'll get a boot screen with choices. Pick Safe Mode. Your PC will boot in a low resolution state as most processes won't be running. Go to "My Computer" (XP) or "Computer" (Vista), right-click the hard drive and select "Scan" from the drop-down menu. You'll see an extra taskbar icon which will show a progress report if you hover over it.  Ok this no chop for you so skip

If you think you have a virus infection on your PC do one or both of the following :

- Run the free Mcafee Stinger program from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ -

set it to Report Mode high sensitivity (in Preferences) and post the logs of anything it detects.

- Join the McAfee Getsusp group at https://community.mcafee.com/groups/getsusp30-beta-feedback

You will have to ask there for Getsusp, which is a Beta program and not yet on general release.

Before you use Getsusp, you should go to this document

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1323

and download the PDF file explaining what Getsusp is and how it works, and this document

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1761

which downloads the installation guide PDF document.

The techs answering the getsusp group posts are on there very often so you can get a reply fast

If you want a second opinion, or to be on the safe side, then you can do a scan with the free versions of these tools :

Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware 

Noticed poster above suggested this as well It is a good idea though getsusp looks interesting as well

If you already have Malwarebytes installed, the virus could be protecting itself against it. In that case, in order to get Malwarebytes running you'll need to rename the executable. Open the C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder, then rename the "mbam.exe" file and double-click directly on the file to open the program. After updating the program, run a full system scan using Malwarebytes. If you do not have it download it to anothe PC and rename setup file. Copy it to a USB stick and run the program. When it asks you to name the install folder do not accept default rename it. After installed rename the exe file in that folder run and update the program I had to do this when My son in law got a redirector malware that blocked all AV sites.

Make sure both programs are updated to the latest versions before running them and let them clean anything they find. If they quarantine a file or fail to remove a file try to get a copy of it and send it to Mcafee using the virus submission path described here :

Send the file to mcafee labs at http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx

Zip the file and password it with password infected.

You will probably get an autoreply back saying it is infected; reply asking for it to be manually tested.

Include in your first submission :-

Submission Information
              Please provide the following information along with your sample. It will help us speed the sample review process:

· A list of all files contained in the sample submission, including a brief description of where or how you found them

· What symptoms cause you to suspect that the sample is malicious

· Whether any security products find a virus (tell us the security vendor, its product name, the version number, and the virus name assigned to the sample)

· Your McAfee product information (product name, engine, and DAT version

· Any system details that may be relevant (operating system, service packs, etc.)

So please remember we do try to answer where and when we can.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 31/12/10 7:27:47 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 31/12/10 7:29:48 PM
              • 4. Re: So upset w/mcafee- updater and chat

i had already d; malwarebytes which did seem to find things once but hasnt on subsequent scans, i really dont know what else to do or how to do it, my computer knowledge is limited at best and i feel like i am at the end of my skill level. I uninstalled mcafee and have the log should i post it here?

• 5. Re: So upset w/mcafee- updater and chat
                  Peacekeeper

Join the getsusp forum download the program and post the results. they are online regularly and it will pickup unknown and suspicious files.

Also try superantispyware as I mentioned

• 6. Re: So upset w/mcafee- updater and chat

i tried super aniti spyware, and i again uninstalled and reinstalled mcafee, it continues to not update and now when i run virtual tech it tells me i dont have mcafee installed eventhough i can see it. I will go to that forum and see what happens thanks

• 7. Re: So upset w/mcafee- updater and chat
                      Dinz

Hi there,

Updates not only fails to complete only because of virus/malware infections. It occurs due to some of the following reasons even.

• Conflict due to a third party security software/its remnants.
                      • Dripping internet connection.
                      • If the proxy is enabled in your browser.
                      • If content advisor is enabled by mistake
                      • Due to a corrupt host file.
                      • If the computer is unable to contact McAfee server due to any of the above issues

Please let us know if you still facing  the issue with updating so that we could help you narrow it down and get it resovled.

Thanks,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 8. Re: So upset w/mcafee- updater and chat

still having the same problem, am uninstalling mcafee AGAIn and trying to start over. my internet connection is fine. I honestly dont know what the proxy is, content advisor is not on, and the only other software i installed was stuff you guys told me to use (malwarebytes/superantispyware)

• 9. Re: So upset w/mcafee- updater and chat

This may sound stupid.Are you using the MCPR reomal tool after uninstalling?you can download from top of this page under useful links.After uninstalling from your Programs area reboot.Then run mcpr.When that is done reboot again.Check to see your windows firewall is turned on.Then try and reinstall.As for the proxy,open search (bottom left of computer) type internet options.click on connections,LAN settings and see if automatically detect settings is checked.You may want to do this 1st.Or you can open your browser click,tools,internet options,connections,LAN settings check auto detect.                                                                                Good luck newjack

1 2 Previous Next