3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 7:13 AM by Dinz

Need help with AntiVirus Plus 2011

We just bought a copy of AntiVirus Plus 2011 to be installed on a computer that is not connected to the Internet and will never be connected to the Internet.  Therefore, I have two questions.  The first is whether or not I can manually activate the product without being connected to the Internet?  The second is how do I manually update the antivirus signatures and where can I get these signatures?

• 1. Re: Need help with AntiVirus Plus 2011
          Dinz

Hi boudreaub,

Product registration normally occurs when the product is installed and it is required that You must be connected to the Internet during installation for registration to take place. This same goes to update as well. In the event of a major virus outbreak, McAfee will release updates and it is mandatory that you need to be online to install these signature files. On the other hand if its a system that doesnt have internet connection, SecurityCenter checks for updates shortly after a system restart, and checks again approximately every four hours while the computer is online .

Hope the above information was helpful!!

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need help with AntiVirus Plus 2011

So it would appear as though we bought the wrong product.  The machine that we need to have antivirus protection loaded on will never be connected to the Internet.  From what I've been reading, what we should have bought was a corporate version of McAfee antivirus so we could do manual virus signature updates.  Am I correct in my assumption?

• 3. Re: Need help with AntiVirus Plus 2011
              Dinz

boudreaub wrote:

So it would appear as though we bought the wrong product.  The machine that we need to have antivirus protection loaded on will never be connected to the Internet.  From what I've been reading, what we should have bought was a corporate version of McAfee antivirus so we could do manual virus signature updates. Am I correct in my assumption?

In order to manually update your virus definitions, your computer needs to be connected online atleast at that moment. Probably, I would still install the consumer versions and update whenever the computer connects to internet so as I get the latest signature files.