2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2010 9:34 AM by TracyII

uvscan magnetic tapes?

I've been tasked to build a system using Solaris 10 and VirusScan for UNIX 6.0  to virus scan magnetic tapes that we receive.  I've explained that I don't think we can do that -- that is has to be a filesytem for uvscan to work and magnetic tape cannot be mounted as a filesystem.   Do any of you know if there's a way to virus scan magnetic tape or at least confirm what I've already said.

Thanks --

Tracy

• 1. Re: uvscan magnetic tapes?
          Tristan

I think you're right with the fact that you can scan a tape as it isn't a mountable file system as such.

I'm assuming that this media is some form of back-up from somewhere that you need to process safely. In which case during the 'restore' process the data from the tapes will be written to a hard-drive somewhere, at which point it will be in a format that it can be AV scanned.

If your customer/management is worried about infection from these tapes then you could do the restore/scanning on a isolated/non-networked computer and then transfer safely, once checked, to your production environment.

Wild thoughts.....

You could build your scanning PC as a bootable CD environment. Worried about infection? Reboot, Clean . I know this is possible in Linux, not sure how easy it's in Solaris

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: uvscan magnetic tapes?

Thanks for the answer -- I have determined that it is not technically feasible to do what they want done in the spirit they want it done.  I have decided to address this with process rather than technology -- those who send us tapes will have to submit a certificate that the contents were scanned before the tape was made.   Problem solved.   Thanks again.