6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2010 3:21 PM by Peacekeeper RSS

Mcafee freezing help please

On running a full scan Mcafee is freezing at the same point each time d:\windows\system32\catroot2\edb.chk I contacted Mcafee support who suggested I try the free online scanner, it didn't pick up anyting.  They then suggested I post a query here to see if anyone can help.  Mcafee support said that this may be a malware problem?  Any ideas?  Being not a very confident user any simple advice would be welcome.

• 1. Re: Mcafee freezing help please
          Dinz

Hi AngelaJ,

Could you please provide us with some information on the computer;

What is the operating system ?
          Do you have any other security software installed ?
          What is the version of your McAfee virus scan & DAT version ?
          Was the computer infected by any malware in the past ? (or) do you frequently receive any virus alerts in your machine ?

Thread moved to Virus scan section

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: Mcafee freezing help please

Thank you for your response Dinesh.

I have Mcafeee Internet Security which is up to date and regularly run and updated.  I am using Vista.  I have never had any virus alerts and even now Mcafee is telling me my computer is secure.  I also ran the online virus checker from Mcafee and that showed up nothing.  The online Mcafee vitual technician also failed to help by finding anything.

The scan consistently freezes at d:\windows\system32\catroot2\edb  either .chk or .log

I am a careful internet user so would be annoyed if I have picked up a malware problem.  The only other unusal think that has happended lately is that my latest windows update failed and I had to restore.

Hope this helps ...

• 3. Re: Mcafee freezing help please
              Dinz

Hi AngelaJ,

There happens some computers may take longer to scan because an option has been set to use minimal resources. This option allows you to perform other tasks while scanning your computer. Additionally, the first time you scan your computer may take longer as VirusScan could be caching, which allows safe files to be cached in memory, so they won't need to be scanned by subsequent scans. Thus, the subsequent scans will run faster.

If you still see a slowness in the scan , please do the below settings and let me know the status.

1. Double-click the M icon in your taskbar.
              2. From McAfee SecurityCenter, expand Virus and Spyware Protection.
              3. Click Scan Your PC.
              4. On the Scan Your PC page, click Run a custom scan.
              5. Under Settings, deselect Scan using minimal resources.

When you disable Scan Using Minimal Computer Resources, your scan speed should increase.

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 4. Re: Mcafee freezing help please

Thank you once again Dinesh, but having tried this unfortunately it has not resolved the problem  Again the pc froze at catroot2 and I had to cold re-boot.

Anything else I can try before I take the pc into the repair shop?

• 5. Re: Mcafee freezing help please
                  k3tg

Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting

Was it the McAfee Stinger scan found in this link that you recently ran and it didn't find anything?

You could also try to run this program and see if it finds anything. No need to purchase the paid version as the free version is available. When you install the program check for the latest updates and run the program and let it clean everything it finds and reboot the computer. Let us know if this made any difference with your issue. http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Good Luck

• 6. Re: Mcafee freezing help please
                    Peacekeeper

I found this the file you mention is 1 containing file fragments I suppose they are corrupted and Mcafee locks up on it. Maybe this I found will assist as well.

looks like the cryptographic services on the machine has issues. Please perform these steps are let me know once done.

Step 2: Delete the CatRoot2 folder

=======================

A: Stop Cryptographic Services:

1. Click Start, click Run, type in "SERVICES.MSC" and press Enter.

2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Stop (if it has been started).

B: After stopping Cryptographic Service, please delete the "Catroot2" folder:

1. Locate the "C:\Windows\System32\" folder.

2. Delete the Catroot2 subfolder in System32.

Note: I am assuming your Windows Vista is installed in C:\Windows.

C: Re-start Cryptographic Services:

1. Click Start, click Run, type in "SERVICES.MSC" and press Enter.

2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Start.

After performing the above steps, please visit the Windows Update website and check the available update.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 1/01/11 7:21:10 AM