5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2011 4:28 PM by Peacekeeper Branched from an earlier discussion.

Removal tool for Windows 7...?

elkrun

I can not remove McAfee.  If I use the windows 7 uninstall program when I reboot, my computer will only reboot in the safe mode without networking.  If I use the windows 7 uninstall program, do not reboot and run the the McAfee removal program,MCPR tool, it does the same thing--my computer will only reboot in the safe mode without networking.  I then have to run restore to get my computer running again and it has restored McAfee.

• 1. Re: Removal tool for Windows 7...?
          Peacekeeper

Once it has restored Mcafee have you tried using the MCPR tool alone? Reboot after it does its work.

Really windows tool followed by mcpr should work maybe mcafee install is corrupted..

• 2. Re: Removal tool for Windows 7...?

I have the same problem as elkrun.  I have tried using MCPR alone, and after windows tool.  Also tried running both from safe mode; same effect with windows tool, MCPR won't run.  Trying to get into safe mode with network gives me blue screen.  I know the mcafee install is corrupted due to an improper attempt at removal and subsequent replacement via system restore.  I am cosidering using MSCONFIG to figure out which process is causing the startup issue.  Any other suggestions other than full reinstall?

• 3. Re: Removal tool for Windows 7...?
              Peacekeeper

Download mcpr to a usb stick and boot into safe mode no networking can you get there. If so run MCPR.

Haven't seen this happen much so a tad unsure here.

• 4. Re: Removal tool for Windows 7...?

MCRP ran from USB in safemode.  same effect as from HD in safe mode:  MCRP runs but fails, "error obtaining permissions."  Log file can't be opened, "being used by another process."  Same effect running MCRP before or after windows uninstal.  (both run fine with normal settings, but then comp locks @ login screen, display vertical bars, on restart.

• 5. Re: Removal tool for Windows 7...?
                  Peacekeeper

Have you tried to restore back to a time mcafee was fully there then retry the MCPR path?

If no chop contact support on the technical services link in the useful links tab above and they might assist better