1 2 3 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2011 9:54 AM by metalhead

Upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.5 database question

Travler

I posted this in another thread, but Bruno suggested starting a new one, so here it is.  I'll copy Bruno's reply below, but please feel free to add any insights you might have.

I'm in the process of planning an upgrade from 3.6.1.255 to 4.5 latest patch.  Our 3.6.1 database is on a SQL 2000 server.  We've recently built a new 2008 sp1 SQL server which I'd like to move the ePO database to.  So, my question is:

Can I move and convert the database from SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 first, and then upgrade the ePO server from 3.6.1 to 4.5?  (Or, in other words, can 3.6.1 access a SQL 2008 database?)

I've been unable to find a KB article concerning this.  Incidently, I think I recall that I can't do it the other way round (upgrade the ePO server from 3.6.1 to 4.5 first) because 4.5 can't access a SQL 2000 database.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

Bruno replies:

Hi Travler,

I'd post your question as another thread for better tracking and responses.

Anyway, I have never performed exactly this test before. I did a test in the past using SQL 2005 which is also not supported on ePO 3.6.1, but this process worked well for me. Based on this I "think" that you should not have problems if you:

1. Backup your current ePO database.

2. Restore this ePO database in your new SQL 2008 server.

3. Connect your ePO 3.6.1 to the new SQL 2008 database (you will have to run the cfgnaims.exe to point to the new SQL server).

4. Verify if everything is working fine.

5. Upgrade from ePO 3.6.1 to 4.5 following the instructions of the installation guide.

And you are correct, ePO 4.5 just supports SQL versions 2005 and 2008.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bruno

• 1. Re: Upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.5 database question
          Travler

I was looking through the 4.5 installation guide's instructions for upgrading from 3.6.1 (page 18) but didn't see any reference to a cfgnaims.exe file.  Could you give me a summary of what this file does?

Thanks again!

• 2. Re: Upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.5 database question

Hello,

In ePO 3.6.1, this file is where  you set where is your database server and which account you will want that ePO use when accessing the database.

In ePO 4.0 or 4.5 this file doesn't exist. The same configuration is done by accessing https://YourEPOServer:8443/core/config

Hope this helps.

Regards,
            Bruno

• 3. Re: Upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.5 database question
              Travler

Thanks again, Bruno.

It has been many years since I last setup an ePO server and just couldn't recall what that file was for.  I appreciate the explanation.

• 4. Re: Upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.5 database question
                Travler

I finally got time with our DBA to attempt to migrate the database from 2000 to 2008.  After he copied it and restored it to the new 2008 server, I ran the cfgnaims.exe file and pointed it to the new 2008 server.  Since the new database server has a different password, I made sure I reflected this change in the Account Details for both the Administrator and Reviewer accounts (we use SQL Authentication for these accounts).

I closed out my 3.6.1 windows and logged back into the app and all looked well.  I wasn't yet convinced that I was really pointing to the new database, so I rebooted our ePO server.   After rebooting, I am unable to log into ePO.  I get the generic message that gives you some things to check such as being sure it is turned on and that you used the right p/w.  If I then use cfgnaims.exe to point back to the old database, everything works fine again.  If I use cfgnaims.exe to point to the new server, then everything still APPEARS to be working until I reboot the epo server which results in my being unable to log in again.

Our DBA and I found KB58843 in which we found reference to changing the server name in the registry.  This did not have any effect either.  I'm not too surprised since there is also an entry in the registry for the p/w.  But since this entry is encrypted, I don't see how we would be able to change it.

So, any ideas or suggestions?

TIA

• 5. Re: Upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.5 database question
                  metalhead

ePO 3.6.1 does not support SQL 2008 so an upgrade will not work that way.

To Upgrade directly from ePO 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5 the only option is to use a full SQL 2005 server.

Another way would be this one:

- Update ePO 3.6.1 to ePO 4.0

- move DB to SQL 2008

- Update to ePO 4.5

or

- Update database with ePO 3.6.1 to SQL 2005

- Update to ePO 4.5

- Update DB from sql 2005 to 2008

Cheers Tom

• 6. Re: Upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.5 database question
                    Travler

Thanks for the reply, Tom.  I was afraid that it was going to be a two-update process.  But, I've got another idea to suggest.  Since my current 3.6.1 ePO server is virtualized, I'm thinking of building a brand new 4.5 virtualized ePO server, copying the existing SQL 2000 database to the new 2008 SQL server, then shutting down the old 3.6.1 ePO server and pointing the new 4.5 ePO server to the updated database.  I'm guessing that I'll have to be sure that after shutting the old 3.6.1 ePO server off I'll have to rename the new 4.5 ePO server with the same name as the old 3.6.1 ePO server.  I'll also give it the old 3.6.1 ePO server's IP address.

How does this process sound?  Am I forgetting anything?

• 7. Re: Upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.5 database question
                      metalhead

This is not possible as you must upgrade an ePO 3.6.1 with its database.

In this process the database is changed so a restore of an ePO 3.6.1 to any other version of epo is not possible.

This does also apply to different patch versions.

So you must upgrade the ePO 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5 before moving the database to a new server (and even this is complicated if you want to change the servername because epo 4.x uses certificates) ...

• 8. Re: Upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.5 database question
                        jmcleish

Travler wrote:

copying the existing SQL 2000 database to the new 2008 SQL server, then shutting down the old 3.6.1 ePO server and pointing the new 4.5 ePO server to the updated database.

You can't just copy the DB from one version to the other- you have to perform an upgrade of ePO on the DB so that the tables etc can all be upgraded.

When i upgrdaed from 3.6.1 to 4.5, I just created a new VM with ePO 4.5, imported my policies and redeployed the agent for the new server. All my clients installed the new agent  (version upgrade) and appeared in the new console.

May be easier in the long run. You have to determine what is best and easiest for your environment.

Jane

Message was edited by: jmcleish on 29/03/11 09:13:14 CDT
                        • 9. Re: Upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.5 database question
                          twenden

We will be facing a similar issue to you soon. Our ePO 4.0 server will soon be upgraded to either ePO 4.5 or the just released 4.6. Luckily for us that we are going to migrating it to a VM in the next few months. That will make it easier to recovery from upgrade failures due to snapshots. Our ePO 4.0 is using MSDE.

We plan on doing the following steps:

1. Install SQL Express 2005.

2. Migrate the MSDE backup to SQL Express 2005.

3. Detach and unistall MSDE.

4. Wait a few week to makes sure that there are no issues with EPO 4.0 & SQL Express 2005 database.

5. Upgrade to either EPO 4.5 or 4.6.

1 2 3 Previous Next