3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2010 1:37 PM by jhaynes

Access file system on FS850 server

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can access the file system (c:\) on MVM 7.01 FS850 server?

Best regards,

David

• 1. Re: Access file system on FS850 server

David,

What are you looking to retrieve?  The FS850 is designed as a Headless appliance, the product is not intended for user interaction with the file system.  There are a number of files which can be retrieved by utilizing the Manage button under the Engines Heading for the Manage tab in the Enterprise Manager.  These files are intended to used for troubleshooting by support.  Are you having difficulty with the FS850?  Please provided greater detail.

Dave

• 2. Re: Access file system on FS850 server

Hi Dave,

I would like to access the windowsupdate.log file (C:\windows) because I would like to see which wsus server FS850 are "talking" to..

Because our fs850 servers doesn't download any patches. We get an error message on the fs850 eventlog (system) event id 16

"Unable to connect: Windows is unable to connect to the Automatic Updates service and therefore cannot download and install updates according to the set schedule. Windows will continue to try to establish a connection."

I think the problem can be solved by configure our firewall, but I'm not sure..

David

• 3. Re: Access file system on FS850 server
              jhaynes

We can unlock the FS850 if we need to but I can help you without doing that. The FS850 is trying to connect to http://sus-update.foundstone.com by default. That can be changed though. To confirm what setting the FS850 is using you can do a registry export from the RMI interface.

To get to the RMI do this.

1. Log into the Enterprise Manager with an admin account.
              2. Go to Manage>Manage Engines.
              3. Select the FS850 and click the Manage button.
              4. Go to the Support Tools tab.
              5. Locate the Registry Export option and export this key. HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsUdpate

That will show you the WSUS server that the FS850 is trying to contact.

On side note you can also configure which WSUS server to use in the RMI.

Jeff Haynes