3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 9:35 AM by SafeBoot

Boot Manager issue

My HP laptop (Windows Vista) is encrypted with McAfee EndPoint Encryption. While formatting an external harddisk in Disk Management, I accidentally made the C drive of my laptop harddrive as 'Active'. Now when I go to boot, after sucessfully entering the encryption password, I get the following Windows Boot Manager error.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings and then click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \minint\windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I tried with the Vista DVD I have but Vista installer doesn't see the windows install to repair. HP wants me to reimage. Any thoughts?

Endpoint Encryption Modules
      System: Installed version-5.1 Current Version-5.1.8.0
      Tokens: Password only token: Type id=02000000 Version=5.1.7.0

Message was edited by: arcotg on 12/21/10 8:36:25 PM CST
        • 1. Re: Boot Manager issue

What partition was active to start with? If you'd changed the active partition the machine would not boot at all - the fact it still boots from the original partition and throws the McAfee pre-boot screen indicates you didn't change the MBR at all.

perhaps you changed Boot.ini ? If so you can boot off an EEPC WinPE/BartPE disk and run WinTech, then you can mount the drive and fix the problem.

• 2. Re: Boot Manager issue

There were two partitions that I could see in Windows Disk Management. One was hidden "Restore" Partition and the other one is my OS drive C. Both were not marked active when I looked at it and that's the reason I made the C active. As many have stated in this forum, my company Service Desk is not ready to help other than reimage. They wouldn't escalate my ticket to the encryption support team. All they know is to read the given scripts and ask me to reimage.

The boot option you talked about (EEPC WinPE/BartPE), is this commonly available or do I need to go through my company's Tech team? While I wait for your reply, I'll google it myself and see what I can do. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

• 3. Re: Boot Manager issue

you'll need to go through your companies team - only they have the SDB file with the original MBR that you need.