4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 7:24 PM by bcaseiro

Update from EPO 3.6.1.255 to 4.0 (or 4.5)

Hello,

Unfortunately all the epo agent on the destop computers can't login into the epo server (running currently with Epo 3.6.1.255). The Epo console starts working incorrectly (java errors, etc). I decided to update the Epo to the latest version on the server.

I am looking for a step by step tutorial about the update process (what to donwload, what to install, possible problems, etc).

If I can update to 4.5, can the older epo desktop agent compatible with epo 4.5 runing on the server?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Update from EPO 3.6.1.255 to 4.0 (or 4.5)

Hello Descreen1,

So far as I understood you need instructions about how to proceed in ugprading from ePO 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5. Attached you will find the installation guide for ePO 4.5 which has all of the requirements, unsupported products on this new version, and also instructions step by step for upgrading directly from ePO 3.6.1 to ePO 4.5.

I'm sorry but I did not understand your last question "f I can update to 4.5, can the older epo desktop agent compatible with epo 4.5 runing on the server?"

I recommend you to download the ePO 4.5 plus Patch 3 (latest version of ePO 4.5) at the McAfee download site, the file name is ePO450P3.Zip.

Note: If your current ePO 3.6.1 is working well, so an upgrade should be fine. However, if your current ePO 3.6.1 installation is not working well and is presenting lots of errors, I'd suggest you to perform a fresh install of ePO 4.5, thus because if your ePO setup is actually with errors, they will just be transferred to ePO 4.5 (depending on the errors of course).

There are multiple articles related problems and solutions just in case, the link is http://kc.mcafee.com

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bruno

• 2. Re: Update from EPO 3.6.1.255 to 4.0 (or 4.5)

Thank you Bruno!

• 3. Re: Update from EPO 3.6.1.255 to 4.0 (or 4.5)
              Travler

I'm not intending to hijack this thread, but...

I'm in the process of planning an identical upgrade (3.6.1.255 to 4.5 latest patch).  Our 3.6.1 database is on a SQL 2000 server.  We've recently built a new 2008 sp1 SQL server which I'd like to move the ePO database to.  So, my question is:

Can I move and convert the database from SQL 2000 to SQL 2008 first, and then upgrade the ePO server from 3.6.1 to 4.5?  (Or, in other words, can 3.6.1 access a SQL 2008 database?)

I've been unable to find a KB article concerning this.  Incidently, I think I recall that I can't do it the other way round (upgrade the ePO server from 3.6.1 to 4.5 first) because 4.5 can't access a SQL 2000 database.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Update from EPO 3.6.1.255 to 4.0 (or 4.5)

Hi Travler,

I'd post your question as another thread for better tracking and responses.

Anyway, I have never performed exactly this test before. I did a test in the past using SQL 2005 which is also not supported on ePO 3.6.1, but this process worked well for me. Based on this I "think" that you should not have problems if you:

1. Backup your current ePO database.

2. Restore this ePO database in your new SQL 2008 server.

3. Connect your ePO 3.6.1 to the new SQL 2008 database (you will have to run the cfgnaims.exe to point to the new SQL server).

4. Verify if everything is working fine.

5. Upgrade from ePO 3.6.1 to 4.5 following the instructions of the installation guide.

And you are correct, ePO 4.5 just supports SQL versions 2005 and 2008.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
                Bruno