8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 2:38 PM by sj103

McAfee Total Protection 2010 Firewall Blocking Apple TV 2nd Generation

-    Service Request #: 600418249

-    Created Date: 12/05/2010 13:21:56 (received email acknowledgement for service request but no response received)

Operating System: Windows XP Professional

Computer: Desktop Intel Core 2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66 GHz

Problem: Apple TV 2nd Generation cannot connect to iTunes library on PC when McAfee Total Protection 2010 Firewall is running.  Under Firewall/Settings, once McAfee Firewall is turned off (e.g., 15 minute interval), Apple TV immediately connects to iTunes program on PC and shared network is visible on Apple TV (works great). Once McAfee Firewall is reactivated (turned on), the shared connection is immediately lost between PC and Apple TV.

Network info: Both Apple TV and PC are connecting through the same Wireless G Broadband Router; Apple TV via wireless G and PC via CAT5 cable directly to router.

I have tried the following and I am still unable to resolve this problem:
      1. Under Firewall/Settings/Ports and System Services, I created a new system service port named "Apple TV" and opened TCP/IP Port 3689, and UDP Ports 5353 and 1900.
      2. Under History and Logs, I have reviewed all Incoming Events once isolating the PC from the internet and other network devices and did not identify any other ports that are being accessed by Apple TV.
      3. Under Firewall/Settings/Security Levels, I selected “Full Access”.
      4. Under Firewall/Settings/Program Permissions, I verified Apple Programs have full access.

5. Under Windows Control Panel, turned off Windows Firewall.

Has anyone figured out how to resolve this issue?  There has be a more practical option other than turning off McAfee Firewall each time Apple TV is used.

• 1. Re: McAfee Total Protection 2010 Firewall Blocking Apple TV 2nd Generation
          Dinz

Hi,

Under Firewall/Settings/Ports & System services --> could you please put a check mark on Windows file sharing NETBIOS and let us know the status.

Is there a specific port that is been provided by the Apple TV catalogue ?
          Do you use any other spyware programs in the machine ?

Regards,
          Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: McAfee Total Protection 2010 Firewall Blocking Apple TV 2nd Generation

I opened the Windows File Sharing port (added the check as recommended) with no success (Apple TV was still unable to connect to the iTunes program on PC).

Out of curiosity, I tried opening all of the Ports and System Services (checked all) and Apple TV was still unable to connect to iTunes program on PC.

After each change, I closed the iTunes program and reopened the iTunes program to attempt to 'refresh' the Shared Connection.

After testing the changes noted above, I verified that Apple TV was still able to connect to the iTunes program on PC after turning off McAfee Firewall (shared connection between Apple TV and iTunes program on PC works fine with McAfee Firewall off).  With McAfee Firewall on, under Navigation/My Home Network, Apple TV shows up as 'online' in my home network, and the IP address that is being used by Apple TV is an address in my Home Trusted Network.

A specific port for Apple TV was not identified in the Setup Guide, but on Apple's Support website, an article notes to open port 3689, which I opened previously.

I am not using any other spyware/virus programs on my PC.

• 3. Re: McAfee Total Protection 2010 Firewall Blocking Apple TV 2nd Generation
              Dinz

sj103 wrote:

With McAfee Firewall on, under Navigation/My Home Network, Apple TV shows up as 'online' in my home network, and the IP address that is being used by Apple TV is an address in my Home Trusted Network.

Now, that's a good piece of information;

Please try the below step ;

Under security center - Click Web & Email protection.

Click on Firewall - Click on Connections

>> Add the Ip address of the Apple TV , click on Apply and OK .

Close all the programs & restart the computer - then try to access the Apple TV and let me know the status.

Regards,

Dinesh K

• 4. Re: McAfee Total Protection 2010 Firewall Blocking Apple TV 2nd Generation

I added the single IP address for Apple TV under Connections, followed by a reboot, then tried to establish the shared connection with no success (Apple TV was still unable to connect to the iTunes program on PC).

I also tried changing the Connection Protection Type under Connections for the added Apple TV IP address from Home, to Work, to Public, followed by a reboot after each Connection Protection Type change with no success.

I also tested the Connections changes with the previously recommended change (Ports and System Services/Windows File Sharing port open) and also selected Full Access under Security Levels with no success.

Under Ports and System Services, under the previously added system service port "Apple TV" (Local TCP/IP Ports: 3689  Local UDP Ports: 5353,1900) I tested Open ports to: PCs in Work and Home networks only and All PCs, and checked Forward port activity to other PCs using Internet Connection Sharing with no success.  After these changes, reviewed History and Logs, and no Incoming Events were logged for the Apple TV IP address.

As a final check, verified shared connection could still be established after turning McAfee Firewall off (shared connection successful).

• 5. Re: McAfee Total Protection 2010 Firewall Blocking Apple TV 2nd Generation
                  Dinz

Hi sj103,

I could see that you have spent a lot of time and effort with this regards , please click on Useful links at the top of this page and get connected with our technicians so that they remote inn and would be able to get an insight on the issue.

Regards,

Dinesh K

• 6. Re: McAfee Total Protection 2010 Firewall Blocking Apple TV 2nd Generation

Quite perplexing.

I appreciate the assistance.

• 7. Re: McAfee Total Protection 2010 Firewall Blocking Apple TV 2nd Generation

Finally, the FIX!!!!

The Apple iTunes program is also using another program (Bonjour Service) for the shared connection with Apple TV.  The Bonjour Service program uses a static IP address when establishing the shared connection between Apple TV and iTunes.

For my particular issue, the IP address that was being used by the Bonjour Service program was not an IP address on my Home Trusted Network, hence, McAfee Firewall was blocking that IP address on my network and the shared connection between Apple TV and the iTunes program on my PC could not be established.

I was able to identify the IP address that was being used by Bonjour Service using McAfee Total Protection under Navigation (top right corner of the Home screen)/Tools-Traffic Monitor/(using the drop down menu under 'Select an item to view various Traffic Monitor information:") select 'Active Programs', then click the + to the left of Bonjour Service.  The IP address and Port that were being used by Bonjour Service is displayed here when trying to establish the shared connection between iTunes and Apple TV (you may have to open the iTunes program while viewing the Traffic Monitor to see the IP address that is being used by Bonjour Service.

Next, you need to add the IP address that is being used by Bonjour Service to the Home Trusted Network under Home/Web and Email Protection/Firewall/Connections, click Add, enter the IP address that is being used by Bonjour Service under Single, (I did not change or add any other information in the other fields, default settings are fine), then click Save. 

I kept TCP/IP Port 3689 and UDP Port 5353 open (see original post) since Bonjour Service uses 5353 and iTunes uses 3689.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone else who is experiencing this issue.

• 8. Re: McAfee Total Protection 2010 Firewall Blocking Apple TV 2nd Generation

Resolved by post originator sj103.