Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2934 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2010 7:39 AM by Dinz RSS
charyl Newcomer 2 posts since
Dec 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 13, 2010 10:44 PM

The file will not delete - it's hiding somewhere

I am wanting to delete an item from the McAfee Online Backup with no luck. I found it and had deleted it from my computer and the online back up folder and even had the program update but it still keeps showing up on a program I use. I am trying to update a file on this particular program I have (not the online back, another) but it keeps capturing the back up file I deleted from my computer and thought I had deleted from the McAfee Online Back up.

How do I permanently delete this file so it is gone from the online back up? I no longer see it but the other program is grabbing it from there.

- I hope the above made sence

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,329 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    1. Dec 14, 2010 2:34 AM (in response to charyl)
    Re: The file will not delete - it's hiding somewhere

I do not use online backup so guessing here. It is not is recycle bin or in system restore area is it? Is the program finding the file saying it is in the backup folder?

Really wild guesses here you could try chat in tech support services link in useful links tab above. If they unsure escalate it and they will get a higher level tech to call you

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Dinz Master 3,223 posts since
    Oct 13, 2009
    2. Dec 15, 2010 1:25 PM (in response to charyl)

Hello charyl,

When you delete or deselect a file, it is removed from your backup configuration and marked for deletion on the Online servers. McAfee Online Backup keeps a copy of that file in older backup sets just in case the deletion was accidental. Those older backup sets are kept for 30 days and then deleted

To restore a file you have accidentally deleted, go to one of the older backup sets (from before you deleted the file), restore the file from there, and include it in future backup sets.

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

Dinesh
    Ex Community Admin
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,329 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    3. Dec 15, 2010 2:26 PM (in response to Dinz)

Dinz I assume the file can be deleted from the old backup sets manually?

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Dinz Master 3,223 posts since
    Oct 13, 2009
    5. Dec 23, 2010 7:39 AM (in response to charyl)

Hi charyl,

As said earlier, If you delete a document and then run a backup from your computer , Online Backup assumes that you no longer need a backup copy of that document and marks the file to be removed from our system. The backed up copy of the file will be kept for 30 days. After 30 days, the file is deleted from our servers and you are no longer able to restore it.

And if you are asking about the deletion from Online servers within the 30 days of deletion , No , You cannot delete files directly from the McAfee servers; when a file that is marked for deletion it is removed, and it no longer counts against your storage space.

Hope the above was helpful.

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

on 12/23/10 7:39:52 AM GMT-06:00

Dinesh
    Ex Community Admin

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points