4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 10:59 AM by greg313

Outbound X-Header filter rule in IronMail

Hi, I am trying to configure a rule in IronMail 6.7.2 to filter OUTBOUND email based on an email X-Header and having no luck getting the rule to trigger.  I tried a word dictionary set to the X-Header name/value and then use that dictionary in a content filter rule applied to outbound traffic but I can't seem to get the rule to fire.  I see a lot of references to ADD X-Header values to messages, but I have yet to find a place to search for existing X-Headers.

Envelope analysis rules sounds like the logical rule that I would want to use, but there are only options to search for sender, recipient, size, subject in the envelope.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Outbound X-Header filter rule in IronMail

I would have thought that your dictionary entry would work, but you can also use User Defined Header Analysis to assign points based on header entries/values.  Go to Anti-Spam > Anti-Spam Advanced > User Defined Header Analysis.

Back to the dictionary entry- do you see the dictionary listed in the ESP summary in your email headers?  (This assumes you've enabled the option to add ESP scores to the header of course.)

• 2. Re: Outbound X-Header filter rule in IronMail

I did see the "User Defined Header Analysis" section, but I assume that since it's under the Anti-Spam section it is only applied to INbound mail flow.  I also tried a dictionary/content rule to key off the subject line and that does not seem to work on OUTbound mail flow either.

Can someone confirm that the Anti-Spam rules or even the content filter rules will work on OUTbound traffic?

My basic goal here is to setup some quarantine/routing rules to handle outbound messages based on x-headers.  I have a DLP system inline before the Ironmail boxes where I stamp messages with different headers so I need to be able to detect those headers in the Ironmail rules.

• 3. Re: Outbound X-Header filter rule in IronMail
              dm2806

You will need to go to Queue Manager, Configure Queues and click on  MIME Ripper. Clear the checkmark next to "Bypass outbound messages for Anti-Spam"   I used this in testing to reroute messages with a particular x-header and worked well.  I just don't have anything like this in production right now, so I don't know the extent of performance

degradation of scanning outbound for x-headers.

Hope this helps!

David

• 4. Re: Outbound X-Header filter rule in IronMail

Thanks David, that is exactly what I was looking for.  Enabling the outbound anti-spam and the User Defined Header Analysis was the solution.  At first it did not work for me until I realized that the address I was testing with was in several whitelist rules so it was bypassing everything.