3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 8:03 PM by Pritish

Some clients ignoring the "don't scan mapped drives" setting in SecurityCenter

Hi - we have around 100 workstations (XP & a few 2000) that run the TPS client (also known as "McAfee Enforced AV Client" through our Sonicwall firewall)

In the McAfee SecurityCenter web console we have 1 Desktop Protection Policy that ALL the clients are members of.

one of the policy settings is set to NOT scan mapped drives on scheduled scans.

however, for the last three weeks about 20 workstations DO scan their mapped network drives on their weekly scheduled scan.

This eventually overwhelms and crashes our main file server, which is the mapped drive. I've discovered that I can get round it by remotely restarting the "McAfee Virus and Spyware Protection Service" on these rougue PC's as they start scanning the mapped drive, but obviously this is not a long term prospect.

This has happened each week for the last four weeks - what could be causing these these PC's to ignore this particular policy setting?

So far I've resisted the urge to uninstall/reinstall simply because I've found that process incredibly longwinded and timeconsuming and not always successful

I've logged a tech support call with Sonicwall as this product is delivered by them, but I'm not having much luck. I was wondering if anyone on this forum had any suggestions...

regards...

• 1. Re: Some clients ignoring the "don't scan mapped drives" setting in SecurityCenter
          Pritish

Hi,

I have read your post.

Please let us know out of the 20 computers in which you have the stated issue, how many computers run the Windows 2000 Operating system.

As an resolution to the existing problem, you can create a new McAfee policy in the McAfee Online security center console and disable the "Scan mapped network drives" option in that new policy and then add those 20 computers alone to this new policy and then try if the scan is not repeated in the schedule scans.

Please also answer the question of the operating systems on these 20 computers.

Regards

Pritish P.

• 2. Re: Some clients ignoring the "don't scan mapped drives" setting in SecurityCenter

Thanks for your reply Pritish...

Looks like its a Windows 2000 issue - the machines that ignore the "don't scan mapped drives" setting are all running 2000 OS.

Shall I try creating a new policy for these PC's or is it simply an OS incompatibility?

I know its an old operating system, but these users run old bespoke legacy applications that run nicely on 2000.

what do you recommend?

regards...

• 3. Re: Some clients ignoring the "don't scan mapped drives" setting in SecurityCenter
              Pritish

Hi,

I have read your reply.

Please be informed that McAfee has stopped support to all Windows 2000 operating systems. This is fully effective from the roll-out of the McAfee SaaS Endpoint protection v5.2.

That is the reason the software and the policy works well on the XP computers but does not apply/work on the computers with the Windows 2000 OS. This is mainly due to non-compatability.

Since Microsoft has stopped it's support to Windows 2000 OS, McAfee has also stopped it's products from supporting the OS. You need to upgrade from the Windows 2000 Operating system to get continued protection from McAfee products.

Regards

Pritish P.