5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2010 10:08 AM by Dinz

After virus removal, McAfee Internet Security is no longer working

We got rid of multiple trojan viruses but during the process, McAfee seems to have been damaged.  We had "Internet Security" but now all that is coming up is "Security Center" with issues.  It can not find any of the java scripts and we are getting VSOs undefined.  Even though our license is still valid, we can no longer download the program (because of the 30-day rule).

How do we download the *.js files and fix what is needed for the VSOs?

How do we re-install the full Internet Security app (not just fix the Security Center app)?

ALSO, since there was no version change, how do we ever know if we have the "fixed" version that no longer causes huge memory issues (i.e. page faults, etc.)?????   It seems like there is no definitive way to know and we just have to watch to see if things get "better".  How much "better" do we need to experience before we trust that we have the "fixed" version???

Thanks.

McAfee Virtual Technician Session ID: 29525908

MVT Information
      MVT Version:6.0.0.0
      System Information
      Operating System:Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build 2600)
      Service Pack:Service Pack 3.0
      Language:0409
      Internet Explorer Version:8.0
      Internet Explorer Language:en-us
      System Drive Type:NTFS
      Physical Memory Available:1278508
      Physical Memory Total:2085780
      Virtual Memory Available:2055648
      Virtual Memory Total:2097024
      System Architecture:x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz
      Date Time:12/10/2010 21:28:44
      Time Zone:GMT -05:00
      Product Details
      Product Name:SecurityCenter
      Product Version:10.5.216
      Language:en-us
      Partner:McAfee
      Health Check Details
      RegistryOK
      FileOK
      ProcessOK
      ServiceOK
      COMOK
      Top IssuesOK
      SYSTEMOK

Dell Optiplex 330

Win XP Pro SP 3

Intel Core2 Duo CPU

E4600 @ 2.40 GHz

2 GB RAM

• 1. Re: After virus removal, McAfee Internet Security is no longer working

Since your computer was infected by viruses it might have corrupted most the McAfee files from the computer, I would request you to follow these KB Doc ID’s: TS100119 & TS100342 to reinstall them back.

• 2. Re: After virus removal, McAfee Internet Security is no longer working

I followed your advice.  I am back to "Internet Security" but now I am experiencing different issues.  I turn on the real-time scanning and it automatically turns off within secondss. After reading through other posts, I used services.msc to see that most mcafee services weren't started.  Trying to start McShield. McAfee, Validation Protection Service, or McAfee Firewall Core Serivce causes Error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start. All three McAfee services are set as Automatic but are stopped. The McAfee firewall will also not stay on.

I know this is definitely different then what I started with. Any suggestions where to go next?

• 3. Re: After virus removal, McAfee Internet Security is no longer working

When i 've had same problems, only instalations  new OS windows resplved those problems.

enjoy and greetings

Message was edited by: WinstonS on 12/12/10 9:22:47 PM GMT+01:00
              • 4. Re: After virus removal, McAfee Internet Security is no longer working

Still experiencing issues. The pc mentioned above is NOT mine so I am trying to fix the situation without formating the hard drive as they don't have all the original software.

Current status:

• Internet Security does show up as the McAfee application installed.
                • McAfee Firewall and Real-Time Scanning will not stay enabled. After turning these features on, they are automatically disabled after 2-5 seconds.
                • Unable to Scan PC (quick scan or full scan). We get a Pop-Up Window: An Error Has Occurred. An unexpected problem occurred during your scan. Please click OK to go back to the Home page, and then try running your scan again.
                • Virtual Technician Session ID: 29472470 reports the following still:
                  • VirusScan - 3 User McAfee Internet Security 14.5.130
                    • Problem with 3 services that MVT can NOT fix (see below)
                      • Service: McShield "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mcshield.exe"
                      • Service: mfevtp "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfevtps.exe"
                      • Service: mfefire "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mfefire.exe"
                    • One issue with registry was fixed
                      • Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\SystemCore\VSCore\On Access Scanner\McShield\Configuration\Default LocalExtensionMode
                  • Personal Firewall - 3-User McAfee Internet Security 11.5.140
                    • Single issue with service that can not be repaired
                      • Service: McMPFSvc "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc
                  • AntiSpam - 3-User McAfee Internet Security 11.5.131
                    • Problem with 1 service that could NOT be repaired (see below)
                      • Service: MSK80Service "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc

I followed many many posts to uninstall McAfee, run McAfee's PreInstall, re-install McAfee, run ComboFix, run ComboFix in Safe Mode, uninstall McAfee, run McAfee's PreInstall, re-install McAfee, run DDS script, run GMER, etc.

These are the same issues MVT detected and could not fix previously.  Since then I did a number of tasks trying to get these services to run.

• Using Services.MSC, I have tried to manually start these McAfee services
                  • McAfee Anti-Spam Service (MSK80Service)
                  • McAfee Firewall Core Service (mfefire)
                  • McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc)
                  • McAfee Personal Firewall Service (McMPFSvc)
                  • McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy)
                  • McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service (mfevtp)
                  • McShield (McShield)
                • The six processes are all dependent on McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service
                  • For example...

The McAfee Proxy Service service depends on the McAfee Firewall Core Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

The dependency service or group failed to start.

• McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service is dependent on McAfee Inc. mfehidk.
                  • The McShield service depends on the McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service service which failed to start because of the following error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

I happened to notice that McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service was disabled for Hardware Profile "Profile 1".  Once I enabled it, I could start the this service and then all the other services dependent on it.

I haven't rebooted yet (a little hesitant to do so) but at least now I have one more place to look. I am not 100% sure I got rid of all the viruses. I have run probably 12-15 different virus scanners looking for stuff. I am not sure I trust any of them since they all give different warnings.

The only "issue" that still remains is that I have two registry entries as part of the startup (MSCONFIG) no matter what I do, they continue to come back and cause two weird pop-ups when rebooting. Currently I have them unchecked and that is a bandaid (but the user will get the MSCONFIG Selective Startup notification upon booting up).

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Load]
                  ? ????? ??? ? ??? ?????????? [?]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Run]
                  ? ????? ??? ? ??? ?????????? [?]

I have never used the "Log On" or "Dependencies" tabs while troubleshooting services before. Hopefully this post will help someone else who may see seeing them for the first time.

MVT Information
                MVT Version:6.0.0.0
                System Information
                Operating System:Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Build 2600)
                Service Pack:Service Pack 3.0
                Language:0409
                Internet Explorer Version:8.0
                Internet Explorer Language:en-us
                System Drive Type:NTFS
                Physical Memory Available:1514096
                Physical Memory Total:2085780
                Virtual Memory Available:2055644
                Virtual Memory Total:2097024
                System Architecture:x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz
                Date Time:12/13/2010 19:54:21
                Time Zone:GMT -05:00
                Product Details
                Product Name:VirusScan - 3-User McAfee Internet Security
                Product Version:14.5.130
                Account ID:5810305
                Health Check Details
                Registry1 Registry key(s) incorrect
                Expected Registry Value not Present
                Expected : 1
                Existing : 2
                Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\SystemCore\VSCore\On Access Scanner\McShield\Configuration\Default LocalExtensionMode
                FileOK
                ProcessOK
                Service3 service(s) incorrect
                Expected Service State Incorrect
                Expected : running
                Existing : stopped
                Service: McShield "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mcshield.exe"
                Service: mfevtp "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mfevtps.exe"
                Service: mfefire "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mfefire.exe"
                COMOK
                DAT and EngineOK
                PatchesOK
                Top Issues1 Top Issue(s)
                Top Issue: Real Time Scanning: Off
                KB URL:
                SYSTEMOK

Product Name:QuickClean and Shredder - 3-User McAfee Internet Security
                Product Version:10.5.108
                Health Check Details
                RegistryOK
                FileOK
                ProcessOK
                ServiceOK
                COMOK
                Top IssuesOK
                SYSTEMOK

Product Name:SecurityCenter
                Product Version:10.5.216
                Health Check Details
                RegistryOK
                FileOK
                ProcessOK
                ServiceOK
                COMOK
                Top IssuesOK
                SYSTEMOK

Product Name:Personal Firewall - 3-User McAfee Internet Security
                Product Version:11.5.140
                Health Check Details
                RegistryOK
                FileOK
                ProcessOK
                Service1 service(s) incorrect
                Service: McMPFSvc "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc
                COMOK
                Top IssuesOK
                SYSTEMOK

Product Name:Parental Controls - 3-User McAfee Internet Security
                Product Version:12.5.111
                Health Check Details
                RegistryOK
                FileOK
                ProcessOK
                ServiceOK
                COMOK
                Top IssuesOK
                SYSTEMOK

Product Name:AntiSpam - 3-User McAfee Internet Security
                Product Version:11.5.131
                Health Check Details
                RegistryOK
                FileOK
                ProcessOK
                Service1 service(s) incorrect
                Service: MSK80Service "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc
                COMOK
                Top IssuesOK
                SYSTEMOK

Product Name:McAfee Online Backup powered by Mozy
                Product Version:2.5.134.0
                Language:en
                Health Check Details
                RegistryOK
                FileOK
                ProcessOK
                ServiceOK
                COMOK
                Top IssuesOK
                SYSTEMOK

• 5. Re: After virus removal, McAfee Internet Security is no longer working
                  Dinz

Hi,

Could you please click on Useful links at the top of this page and get in touch with our technicians so that they would find out what is the real cause that makes the real time scanner disabled ?? They would even find out if its a conflict between the actual programs installed/ even if there are any remnants of your older McAfee programs .

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator