2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 7:01 PM by weak_pig

What are Rogue Sensors? And how to manage New/Existing/Expired Agents in ePO

I would like to know the laymen's version of What are Rogue Sensors? I read the documentation but I still don't get what it is meant for... Is it useful to deploy these on all managed systems?

Second Question - In a SMB office of mine, I have users who are constantly being hired as new users, some who will quit, and notebooks which are recycled/refurbished for other users as well as aging notebooks being replaced by newer laptops.

How can I use ePO effectively to track these users? In my environment, users who have quit will surrender their notebooks and their contents wiped. Is there a way to get ePO to tell me that this X agent is no longer communicating with the ePO server, thus recommend for removal?

What about users who retire their old notebooks for newer ones? The computer names will be different, as in, SALLY_WEST in the old notebook, and the new computer name will be SALLY-WEST in the newer notebook.

In the System Tree of ePO the whole list of users are listed but it does not differentiate which are new systems from the existing ones.

One manual way I can think of managing this problem will be to compare the Last Communication date. If it has been 2-3 months since last communication with this user, I will verify if the user has left, or maybe changed his/her laptop.

But I was hoping that there might be a better and more automated way of doing this.

• 1. Re: What are Rogue Sensors? And how to manage New/Existing/Expired Agents in ePO
          JoeBidgood

weak_pig wrote:

I would like to know the laymen's version of What are Rogue Sensors?

Rogue sensors detect devices on your network and report them back to ePO: ePO can then display these for you an optionally take action, such as deploying an agent to them.

Is it useful to deploy these on all managed systems?

Absolutely not... generally speaking (assuming you even want to use RSD) you would need one or two per subnet.

Second Question - In a SMB office of mine, I have users who are constantly being hired as new users, some who will quit, and notebooks which are recycled/refurbished for other users as well as aging notebooks being replaced by newer laptops.

How can I use ePO effectively to track these users? In my environment, users who have quit will surrender their notebooks and their contents wiped. Is there a way to get ePO to tell me that this X agent is no longer communicating with the ePO server, thus recommend for removal?

Yes - have a look at the Inactive Agen Cleanup Task in the server tasks: this is exactly what it's for.

What about users who retire their old notebooks for newer ones? The computer names will be different, as in, SALLY_WEST in the old notebook, and the new computer name will be SALLY-WEST in the newer notebook.

If they are getting a completely new machine, then ePO will treat it as a new machine and the old entry will be "dead" - there will no longer be a machine communicating with that entry. Again, the inactive agent cleanup task will deal with these.

HTH -

Joe

• 2. Re: What are Rogue Sensors? And how to manage New/Existing/Expired Agents in ePO

Hi Joe, thanks for your reply. What about those new machines that replaces the old ones? I would need to manually add those in under the System Tree, wouldn't I?