2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 6:05 PM by Peter M

"Avtain" hijack hit my Laptop~ Help!

I chated with a McAfee rep and he got me into SafeMode. I'm a Noob to this forum but need some help here. Avtain gives fake warnings that your computer has been infected...actually, that's right. It HAS been infected, with your virus!!! It wouldn't let me get on line, start task mgr etc. I ran a full scan but it came up clean. I suspect that's a product of the virus...when the warning pops up you can't X out. The warning box states that to fix the problem hit yes, it takes you to their website. The ONLY website that's obtainable.

Any ideas? I'm not a gear head, so keep it in laymen's terms if possible!

I'm running a full scan now while it's in safe mode to see if it picks anything up, hopefully this post was premature.

• 1. Re: "Avtain" hijack hit my Laptop~ Help!

Wow! 278 views and no suggestions? Hmmmm

• 2. Re: "Avtain" hijack hit my Laptop~ Help!
            Peter M

Sorry we try to help as many people as possible but this is mainly a 'peer support' group so if no-one knows an answer they tend not to post.

It may be THIS however if you can't do much in regular mode, have you tried scanning in Safe Mode?

Tap F8 repeatedly while booting up, select that mode and then go to Computer (My Computer in XP) and right-click the hard drive and select "Scan".

All you'll see is a taskbar icon which will give a progress report when you hover over it.

That McAfee Labs link tells people to disable System restore before scanning - that's in case any of the restore partitions are infected which can easily happen.

There is some required reading here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

If that doesn't help try the following in "Safe Mode with Networking" (Safe Mode with Internet access)

Download, install and update and run the FREE version of THIS software.

Let it remove anything it finds and reboot immediately if asked to.

If all the above don't help then follow the Hijackthis instructions in THIS post.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/12/10 6:05:23 CST PM