Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
6025 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2010 11:28 AM by ADC RSS
ADC Newcomer 9 posts since
Dec 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 5, 2010 7:52 PM

Real-Time scanning will not turn on!

HI,

I am looking for some urgent help.

I think that I may have downloaded some maliciious virus that will nt allow Mcafee trun on, including realt ime scanning.

Earlier in the day there was some maleware that hijacked intrnet explorere and kept pointing me to a virus removal tool (Antivirus Action). there were sevral other annoying pop-ups as well.

I did  system restre based on recomendation and now I cannot tur on Mcafee. not sure it is it realted to the virus OR resore. No pop-ups recently. Ran Stinger sevral times but nothing has been picked up.

Help please.

Thank you.

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,354 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    1. Dec 6, 2010 3:44 AM (in response to ADC)
    Re: Real-Time scanning will not turn on!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-action  that is if you have that malware.. Note DO NOT click on ads top of page just read further down.

Below from a post by Ex_brit

If it is another malware best to follow this

Before doing anything else please read this McAfee article.

Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting

If possible is to locate removal tools on the web and that is where Google can be your friend.   Be careful what you pick though!

Here are some FREE programs that you can download to get adware/spyware removed from the machine (keep them AND your computer updated!):

NOTE: I have noticed a lot of posters with adware/spyware issues. These products are owned by other companies and aren't something we support. However, they are excellent programs that I would recommend to remove this stuff. If you are having problems removing the adware/spyware from the machine or problems with the product, you need to go to the company that corresponds with the product that you have installed for support.

WARNING

- we are not responsible for any problems caused by these programs. Most have their own support. Also note that anti-spyware software will often remove all your good cookies (along with any bad ones of course) - so you have to be careful what you delete when the scan finishes.

Users will have to check each website for compatibility.  Remember to keep them updated!!

SuperAntiSpyware

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

Support Forum: http://forums.superantispyware.com/

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Download the free version here:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Rename the setup file and the default folder it creates when you install the program to something new. Do the same with the exe file. Some malware look for know Anti Malware programs and their folders.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 6/12/10 7:44:34 PM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Dinz Master 3,223 posts since
    Oct 13, 2009
    3. Dec 9, 2010 12:59 PM (in response to ADC)

Hi ADC,

Were you able to get the Real time scanner turned on ??  Get back to us if you still face any issues

Regards,

Dinesh K

McAfee Online Community Moderator

Dinesh
    Ex Community Admin
    Nov 23, 2002
    5. Dec 11, 2010 2:15 PM (in response to ADC)

The suggestions in the beeping computer link You should ask them though rkill should be ok to remove, I would for the moment leave Malwarebytes and update and scan with it as a back up regularly. I do.

Can you post what your host file now looks like?

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

Nov 23, 2002
    7. Dec 12, 2010 2:23 PM (in response to ADC)

That appears ok for vista. You got vista?

see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points