8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 3:01 PM by thecreator

Can't get Updates until I replace Hosts. file and reboot PC

I have dealt with technical support multiple times on this issue.  They have been on the PC and placed a Hosts. file under My documents folder.  This is the file that I use to replace my current Hosts. file when I can't get updates from McAfee.  Once I replace the Hosts. file and I reboot the PC, then I can successfully get the latest updates.  I had this problem with VirusScan 2009 at the end of our subscription.  Thought that when I upgraded to VirusScan 2010 that I would not run into this anymore.  It worked for a couple of weeks, but I am now experiencing the same issue.  I should not have to do this everytime I want updates, any other ideas?  I have attached some screen shots (i.e., our current versions, Hosts. file contents, and current subscription).

• 1. Re: Can't get Updates until I replace Hosts. file and reboot PC
          Dinz

Hi SCZ,

If the third image is the status of your current host file, please remove the last line completely and then save the host file ; Try updating after that .

Also, please open command prompt (If you are using Win vista/7, please right click and select Run as administrator)
          Then type the following and hit enter :ping download.mcafee.com (Note: There is a space after the word ping)

Please provide us some more info regarding ;
          What is the operating system?
          How is the computer connected to internet ? (Dsl/Wireless/cable)
          Did you previously use any other antivirus software in the computer ?
          Do you receive any spyware pop ups in the computer ?

Regards,
          Dinesh K
          McAfee Online Community Moderator

• 2. Re: Can't get Updates until I replace Hosts. file and reboot PC

Hi SCZ,

From what I read i have one gues - issue with DNS .The fact that you can not have udpates might be because of some reason ,check them all and then retry if the problem gets solved.

1st. virus Infection

2.IE is not default browser

3.Issues with Java

4.Issues with DNS and General I-net connection issue

5. Do you have router - security policys there you might have blocked the Ip for the udpate (sometimes happens)

What i can say from my experience changing HOSTS file is never a permanent solution IP addresses are being changed - leading you can not update.What I will advise is not very pro but check with 3rd party for infections.

Another thing make sure you delete:

temos,cookies,cache of IE

Makesure IE is default browser

Reset winsock and flushdns

Check with another I-net connection or just conenction type wifi to lan ,lan to wifi etc.

Please let us know the outcome

• 3. Re: Can't get Updates until I replace Hosts. file and reboot PC

Hi Dinesh,

Thanks for your response.  Actually the host file that I attached is what McAfee provided as a fix to this problem.  Anyways, I did go and remove the last line (McAfee) in the Hosts. file.  I tried the update and was unsuccessful.  I then rebooted the PC and was able to get the updates.

As I stated before, this is a customer's PC.  It only has access to the internet when I go and modify a security block on the Netgear router that is on their LAN.  I only perform these updates once a week on Monday's.  Our customer runs 24X7 and I don't like to bother them too often.  So, therefore, the real question is whether this will work as is next week or if I'll have to modify the Hosts. file again?  Typically, weekly I'll have to modify the Hosts. file, but I'll wait and see what happens next Monday.

The ping was successful.  Is this something I should try while I'm having the update problems?  I only tried it after the update was successful.

The OS is Windows XP SP 2.  They have an OptOnline cable connection.  There was at one time a corporate version of McAfee on this PC, and then we removed that and downloaded McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009, which worked well for a good portion of the year until the tail end and now it has McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2010 (after the install it worked well for a few weeks and now has this same problem).  None of the PCs on this LAN have internet access unless we change their setting on the Netgear router.  The setting is only changed when updates or some other work is being performed and then the internet is blocked again when done.  So, no there have not been any spyware pop ups on this computer.

I'll report back next Monday.  Thanks.

• 4. Re: Can't get Updates until I replace Hosts. file and reboot PC

OK, I tried the updates this week and was again unsuccessful.  I went to the HOSTS. file and there were a few blank lines at the bottom that I deleted just to get some change and then I saved the file.  Still was unable to get updates until I rebooted.  Any other ideas?  I did look at the DNS configuration and it is the same as another PC on this network that is getting updates just fine.  The whole network is setup with static IPs - there is no DHCP server enabled.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: Can't get Updates until I replace Hosts. file and reboot PC

This is still a problem - does anyone have any other ideas?

• 6. Re: Can't get Updates until I replace Hosts. file and reboot PC
                    thecreator

SCZ wrote:

This is still a problem - does anyone have any other ideas?

What version of XP is the Customer running?

Note: XP SP 2, is Windows XP Service Pack 2, not an operating system, only a Service Pack.

I think that your Customer needs at least XP increased to Service Pack 3.

• 7. Can't get Updates until I replace Hosts. file and reboot PC

Sorry I have not replied recently.  I'm still dealing with this issue.  This PC is running Windows XP Professional Version 2002.  I did update it to SP 3.  The updates were working for awhile, but then started to fail upon initiation again.  The last month, it has worked every other week.  On the weeks that the update does not work, I just go into the hosts. file and delete a space, just so I can save the file.  Then I reboot.  After I do those 2 tasks, then the update works fine.  Any more ideas?  Thanks

• 8. Can't get Updates until I replace Hosts. file and reboot PC
                        thecreator

Use the proper Clean Tool for the proper version of McAfee installed and uninstall McAfee.

SCZ wrote:

Sorry I have not replied recently.  I'm still dealing with this issue.  This PC is running Windows XP Professional Version 2002.  I did update it to SP 3.  The updates were working for awhile, but then started to fail upon initiation again.  The last month, it has worked every other week.  On the weeks that the update does not work, I just go into the hosts. file and delete a space, just so I can save the file.  Then I reboot.  After I do those 2 tasks, then the update works fine.  Any more ideas?  Thanks

Upon the reboot of the computer, go through and delete leftover folders of McAfee, then run Disk Cleanup.

Reboot the computer and reinstall McAfee on that computer. Reboot the computer following the installation of McAfee to check operation of the computer.