6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2011 9:32 AM by twenden

Best way to upgrade from 8.5 to 8.7?

Hello,  I'm new to the ePO server and was wondering what the best way to upgrade from 8.5i to 8.7i is.  Through the ePO can I have it remove 8.5 and then install 8.7?  Would I have to uninstall 8.5 manually?  Also if I have the agent install 8.7 on an 8.5 system, will it keep the 8.5 settings?  Thanks for any help that you can offer and sorry for such novice questions.

Message was edited by: dsweetman on 12/2/10 3:21:21 PM CST
        • 1. Re: Best way to upgrade from 8.5 to 8.7?
          pschmehl

You can create an uninstall task in ePO that will remove VSE 8.5.  Then create a separate install task that installs VSE 8.7.  Run the uninstall task on all systems that have 8.5 installed and the install task on all "new" systems (systems without VSE installed.)

Here's my uninstall task:

Start date:11/3/10 12:00 PM
          End date:No end date
          Time:Local time on managed systems
          Schedule:Once at 12:00 PM
          Type:Daily every 1 day(s)

The tag VSE8.5i is added to any computer that has 8.5 installed and removed from any computer that doesn't have it installed.  That is done through a server task that runs a query to find all 8.5 systems and then applies the tag to them.

You can do all this manually as well, but if you have a lot of systems, that's what automation is for.

• 2. Re: Best way to upgrade from 8.5 to 8.7?
            JoeBidgood

Probably the easiest way is to confgure a product deployment task to install VSE 8.7. The 8.7 install package is capable of upgrading 8.5, so the one task will install 8.7 on machines that don't have VSE at all, and will upgrade those machines that have a previous version installed.

HTH -

Joe

• 3. Re: Best way to upgrade from 8.5 to 8.7?
              jmcleish

You will also need to make sure that if you have custom 8.5 policies with exclusions etc for certain machines/groups that you assign these custom 8.7 policies to the machines/groups etc before deploying 8.7

If you have lots you can run the epomigration tool (if i remember correctly) from the 8.7 product to create them.

• 4. Re: Best way to upgrade from 8.5 to 8.7?

Dear Sir,

I have Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i version setup and i want to install in Windows 7 and windows 7 need VirusScan Enterprise 8.7 version. Please tell me how to upgrade 8.5.0i to 8.7 version.

Thanks & Regards,

NEEL

• 5. HOW to upgrade from 8.5 to 8.7?

Dear Sir,

I have Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i version setup and i want to install in Windows 7 and windows 7 need VirusScan Enterprise 8.7 version. Please tell me how to upgrade 8.5.0i to 8.7 version.

Thanks & Regards,

NEEL

• 6. Re: HOW to upgrade from 8.5 to 8.7?
                    twenden

To: Neel Kumar

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise is a corporate and licensed product. You will have to contact the IT dept that supplied VirusScan 8.5 to yhou and ask for the upgraded software VirusScan 8.7i.

Message was edited by: twenden on 1/18/11 9:32:33 AM CST