7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2010 7:53 AM by jickfoo

Help a newbie with a test system lockout

jickfoo

Hi, my name is Justin and I have inherited ownership of Mcafee Endpoint Encryption 5.2.3 for a rather large organization. We are planning on upgrading to 5.2.5 on Thursday. Being the good little geek that I am I suggested we test the upgrade as the documentation states.

I tried replicating the system on a different server but ran into a variety of trouble. So.. I decided to start from scratch. I loaded EEM 5.2.3 and EEPC 5.2.3 on a server.I replicated some users into a group. I created a machine group and added my PC to it. I created the installation set and ran it on my PC. YAY !! This is fun !! My PC seemed ok. I could replicate. The Server could initiate a replication.

Then I rebooted. None of my ids let me in. (PANIC!) I found the recovery option. Sweet! Then I got my machine back up and running and noticed that the server says there are NO local ids that should be able to log into Safeboot on my pc. YIKES !! So I added my id and clicked apply and Sync'ed. "Unable to change the objects access mode" Oh No !! (MORE PANIC) .

I tried uninstalling, no good. I tried Safe Mode uninstall. Nope. I tried fixing the group, repackaging and then reinstalling. Nope.

So.. basically I'm stuck. Please help if you can. Also if you have any thoughts on best way to do test systems I'd love to hear them. Licensing seems to be an issue and I still dont have a Policies Tab.

Thanks,

Justin (Newbie)

• 1. Re: Help a newbie with a test system lockout

the access mode error is because your machine was syncing - you just need to wait for it to finish, unless that is you didn't create a server etc?

you need to read at least the quickstart guide as you're doing a lot of things wrong - you really never create machines in EEM - you let the machine create itself. You should create your install set from the group so you can use it over and over again, not from the machine.

Start by reading the quickstart guide - that will get you up and running. If you're responsible for a large enterprise though you should consider paying for some professional training.

You won't get a policies tab unless you bought EEFF - it's not used for EEPC.

• 2. Re: Help a newbie with a test system lockout
            jickfoo

Thanks for the response...

The Server is created. I did read the Quick Start and lots of the Admin Guide. The PC was added to the group by using an installation set.

I had 2 cases open with tech support which they closed almost immediately without resolution. (hope that is not typical)

I waited an hour for the object to sync but the error didnt clear.

Professional Services would be great but we cant afford them. (Thats why I am out here.)

• 3. Re: Help a newbie with a test system lockout

you said :

I created a machine group and added my PC to it. I created the installation set and ran it on my PC

This is not what you do - you create the group, create the installation set from it, then the machine adds itself.

restart your server, that will clear all the locks.

• 4. Re: Help a newbie with a test system lockout
                jickfoo

I appreciate your responses but what you're saying is what I did. I mispoke in the first post.

I created the installation set, installed it, the machine appeared in the GUI. Rebooting the server didnt clear the issue.

The PC is stranded, it has no ids that can manage it, and I cant add users because I continously get the error, no matter how long I wait

I've rebooted the server and restarted services. No dice.

Message was edited by: jickfoo on 11/29/10 7:20:12 PM CST
                • 5. Re: Help a newbie with a test system lockout

Not sure how you can be getting that error after rebooting the server - it's a file locking error, so unless your machine is again trying to sync, the error must have been cleared by the reboot.

Are you sure you rebooted the right server? You might want to check in the client log to see where it's trying to connect to.

maybe you can post the client log as an attachment?

• 6. Re: Help a newbie with a test system lockout
                    jickfoo

I'm convinced the issue is that Safeboot was applied to the machine with no userids that could manage it. I'm surprised it would allow this to happen.

I'm trying to use Safetech to authorize from database but am not having much luck. I'm being prompted for the transfer database and I'm unsure where to get that. Is that the database from the server ?

• 7. Re: Help a newbie with a test system lockout
                      jickfoo

Nevermind. I am Ghosting back to a previous version.