1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2010 7:19 PM by Aldrin

Insane Outgoing Traffic

Hello,

Today I took a look at the Traffic Monitor and almost fell out of my chair when I saw the outgoing traffic for the month...632 gigs!!!!!!!   This is absolutely insane, I can't for the life of me understand what could be causing this!!!  What makes it even crazier is that my notebook was in a HP repair facility for about a week.  Does anyone know what could be causing this?  Virus, malware, or maybe Mcafee is malfunctioning?

McAfee seems to have been running fine.  I ran a scan and it did not detect anything.  I'm running stinger now.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Insane Outgoing Traffic
          exbrit

I think that must simply be a glitch.  Your ISP may be able to enlighten you as to your real traffic.

What happens when you click Refresh?

By comparison mine reads 720.13MB.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Insane Outgoing Traffic

Thank you for replying.

My ISP support won't be open till tomorrow, I'll be sure to call them.

When I refreshed it ticked up a notch from 632.34 GB to 632.35 GB.

Stinger is still running...

• 3. Re: Insane Outgoing Traffic
              exbrit

That could be skewing the results.

Run an independent online virus scan such as Eset Online and perhaps use Malwarebytes Free to be sure.

• 4. Re: Insane Outgoing Traffic
                Hayton

If you check back through the older threads you will find another person whose Traffic Monitor was showing excessive traffic levels, but in that case all the figures were out by a factor of, I think, 100 (or possibly 1000). Is that the case here?

I would be interested to see what results Eset returns because I had been wondering whether to include this on my own recommended list - I tried it out and it found (or said it found) a Trojan on my PC which McAfee had overlooked. It was an old and unused application from my previous machine so it doesn't matter if was a false positive or not, but any feedback about Eset would be useful.

• 5. Re: Insane Outgoing Traffic

Ok. I ran ESET and Malwarebytes and they both came up clean so did McAfee's Stinger.

I contacted my ISP (Verizon FIOS)  and astonishingly they told me they could not tell me how much bandwidth I've used the past month, they had no tool.  They actually suggested that I find one online!!!

I'm thinking about formatting the disc and reinstalling everything.  Hey, it will also get rid of all the HP bloatware they installed at the repair facility without my knowledge or consent...

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help!

• 6. Re: Insane Outgoing Traffic
                    exbrit

That's a surprise.  My ISP has a link to check download and upload amount for the month because my plan, like many, has a monthly limit over which an extra charge would apply.

Maybe there's no limit on FIOS?   Although I doubt that.

Anyway good luck and I know what you mean by 'bloatware'.

• 7. Re: Insane Outgoing Traffic

I just checked the traffic monitor to see if anything has changed and took a screen snip.  Amusing eh? lol!

Does anyone know how to report this bug to McAfee?

Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Insane Outgoing Traffic
                        exbrit

Contact Technical Support Chat and have them go into your machine and see for themselves.  Linked under Useful Links above.

• 9. Re: Insane Outgoing Traffic

Absolute utter waste of time.  The rep had no idea whatsoever as to what I was talking about and no clue as to explain what was going on.  Kept asking, "Am I to understand that your computer is running slowly, is that correct"?

Buggy software, ridiculous tech support.  What happened McAfee?

I'm seriously thinking about running over to Target and buying Norton or Kaspersky....

1 2 Previous Next