3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2010 6:44 AM by Peter M

McAfee Total Protection updating question

On 11-11-2010 I purchased an online subscription to MTP as my free six months through FB offer expired.  I have used this software before and I am used to  the Automatic Updater running the first time I connect to the internet after startup. This program suggests times when new updates are available, but even if I am online then doesn't seem to go through the process of updating. To manually check for updates drags my system and takes about fifteen minutes just for "checking for updates" downloading takes about ten and install can take up to half and hour or more. I did this today and it did tell me the update was successful and when the next update would be available. My question is, how often SHOULD it automatic update and do I possibly have an issue keeping the software from doing this? I do have other programs that check for spy/malware etc and I have seen on here that McAfee always suggests to remove those programs. the only one it noted on the initial software installation as being a "problem" was Malwarebytes. I also have Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, CCleaner, and SuperAntiSpy. They all seem to have the ability to catch issues that the others don't. I run and update and scan from each of them once a month. None  are set to run in "real time". The only other program that is on the computer is window defender, because it came with Windows and I don't know much about it other than it runs once a week and never finds anything. I went to Navigation and found this information on my updates:

Secrurity Center V 10.5  B10.5.216 Last update 11-11-2010

Virus Scan          V14.5   B14.5.130                     11-28-2010 DatV6180 DatCreatDate 11-27-2010

FireWall              V 11.5  B11.5.140                     11-11-2010

SiteAdvisor              3.2     3.20.152                     11.14.2010

Antispam                11.5    11.5.131                      11-11-2010content update11-28 History and logs shows all updates have failed for this

Parental C.             12.5    12.5.111                      11-11-2010

Online Backup                                                                                           haven't used yet

QuickClean            10.5     10.5.108                      11-11-2010

Is there anywhere on McAfee's site that shows the current versions for each of these.. so that I know if my updates ARE working properly? I know enough to go in and change some settings if they are suggested but not enough to really try to change a bunch of commands myself to get programs to cooperate with each other. sorry if what I am looking for seems muddled in the details and

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer!

• 1. Re: McAfee Total Protection updating question
          Peter M

Sleigh318 wrote:

On 11-11-2010 I purchased an online subscription to MTP as my free six months through FB offer expired.  I have used this software before and I am used to  the Automatic Updater running the first time I connect to the internet after startup. This program suggests times when new updates are available, but even if I am online then doesn't seem to go through the process of updating. To manually check for updates drags my system and takes about fifteen minutes just for "checking for updates" downloading takes about ten and install can take up to half and hour or more. I did this today and it did tell me the update was successful and when the next update would be available. My question is, how often SHOULD it automatic update and do I possibly have an issue keeping the software from doing this? I do have other programs that check for spy/malware etc and I have seen on here that McAfee always suggests to remove those programs. the only one it noted on the initial software installation as being a "problem" was Malwarebytes. I also have Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, CCleaner, and SuperAntiSpy. They all seem to have the ability to catch issues that the others don't. I run and update and scan from each of them once a month. None  are set to run in "real time". The only other program that is on the computer is window defender, because it came with Windows and I don't know much about it other than it runs once a week and never finds anything. I went to Navigation and found this information on my updates:

Secrurity Center V 10.5  B10.5.216 Last update 11-11-2010

Virus Scan          V14.5   B14.5.130                     11-28-2010 DatV6180 DatCreatDate 11-27-2010

FireWall              V 11.5  B11.5.140                     11-11-2010

SiteAdvisor              3.2     3.20.152                     11.14.2010

Antispam                11.5    11.5.131                      11-11-2010content update11-28 History and logs shows all updates have failed for this

Parental C.             12.5    12.5.111                      11-11-2010

Online Backup                                                                                           haven't used yet

QuickClean            10.5     10.5.108                      11-11-2010

Is there anywhere on McAfee's site that shows the current versions for each of these.. so that I know if my updates ARE working properly? I know enough to go in and change some settings if they are suggested but not enough to really try to change a bunch of commands myself to get programs to cooperate with each other. sorry if what I am looking for seems muddled in the details and

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer!

Updates can occur at any time but at the least, once daily.  However they wont necessarily occur immediately one is available depending on how busy your machine is at that time.

"Smart Timer" stops updates (and scheduled scanning) if any PC activity seen.   In v10.5 this effect is reduced but you should not touch the PC for  15 Minutes and you will get an update at the 4 hour mark. (It checks every 4  hrs). The time of next update shown on main page of the SecurityCenter.  Click on Updates and you'll see the last update time and next time shown there. So  go easy on activity at that time.

It's wise to keep extra anti-spyware tools handy and updated as no antivirus in the world is guranteed to offer 100% protection.  But make sure that's all they are and have no antivirus component activated as operating 2 together can actually allow infection in.

I use Malwarebytes Free and SpywareBlaster personally.

• 2. Re: McAfee Total Protection updating question

thank you for the fast reply. I didn't realize that the computer waits for you to be idle before it will update! Makes sense. "stupid" question: if you miss an update time it just catches you up at the next one right? Is there a place on McAfee's site that tells you what Versions and builds are the most up to date? I have seen people mention that on the boards and wondered where they got the information. Thank you again!

• 3. Re: McAfee Total Protection updating question
              Peter M

Actually it will force an update (or a scheduled scan) using what they call a Smart Timer which uses a 10-10-10 Rule.

Either an update that is trying to apply (or a scheduled scan) will occur if....

1)    10 minutes of keyboard and mouse inactivity

2)    10 seconds of CPU usage that is less than

3)    10 percent (on older or overloaded systems, this can be a problem)

Also, as for scheduled scans, not updates, they are talking about including a way to turn
              off this wait timer, sometime around May 2011.

(Quote from an internal memo)

There is no place on the website that tells you what the latest version is unfortunately, not for the home product.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/11/10 6:44:51 CST AM