1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2011 11:02 AM by Peter M

Trojans

halton

On my last scheduled system scan McAffee found and removed a trojan virus. Does it get stored somehwere on my system or does get removed completely?  How does it get into my system in the first place? My last question is can I delete all the items  from my Quarantined and Trusted Items Section?

Any help you can give me will greatly appreciated.

Jerry

• 1. Re: Trojans
          k3tg

Hi Jerry,  You may want to refer to this document in the event you have have any virus or malware issues. It was published by McAfee and has an additional Stinger scan which is included within the link. Required Reading - Home User Assistance Malware Troubleshooting

When the scan detects and it displays that it has been removed, the software has indeed did its job in doing what it says it did. The trojan could have come from a web page that you use everyday, it could have come from one that you occasionally use, from an email attachment, etc. There is so much virus and malware propagating and infecting users all around the world, that it is hard to say where it originated from. These malware authors are constantly trying to beat the system and who knows it could be your next door neighbor.

No security company that I know of can prevent 100% that one would never contract a virus or get some kind of malware. If a file is received that McAfee reconizes and if McAfee deems it harmful it will either quarantine it and or delete it completely. For the files that are harmful and the software doesn't recognize that fact, it means that that particular file has been written in such a way to pass the test, and then when it get into you system then problems begin.

You can delete the items in the quaratined area if you want to but they tell me it will do no harm in letting them remain in there and after 30 days I beleive they will self delete themselves, but I not sure of the self delete part.

I hope this info helps to answer your questions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trojans
            Peter M

Moved to Malware Discussions > Home User Assistance  as a more appropriate spot.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Trojans
              Peacekeeper

I would add to Tom's statement that I feel it is better to clear quarantined files as some users noticed they take ages deleting. Unsure if this means the 30 day rule failed but some users had 14K files there and deleting was well tiresome.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/11/10 12:43:22 PM
              • 4. Re: Trojans
                halton

I want to the website quoted and printed the material. It said to make sure and download the general version of stingerthis would be which will be version 10.1.x.xxx  I would like to make sure there is only version of Stinger and that is version v10.1.0.1176  please let me know if this the correct version and if not please let me know where to go for the right version. The information I am quoting is from the following website https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

Thank you for your patience and all your help

Jerry

• 5. Re: Trojans
                  Peacekeeper

Yes that is a couple days old .

• 6. Re: Trojans
                    Hayton

10.1.0.1176 is the current version.

From the Stinger page : "Build Nr: 10.1.0.1176] (11/26/2010)"

• 7. Re: Trojans
                      halton

Thank you for your help and patience.

• 8. Re: Trojans
                        halton

I ran the scan in Safe mode and the report was that my system was clean. Since I am still a novice and unsure of myself with all the instructions is absolutely necessary to run the stinger softwae?

• 9. Re: Trojans
                          Hayton

No, not really. McAfee's done its job by finding and eliminating a piece of malware that was on your system. The scan says you're clean, so the Stinger's not really necessary. It's only for those stubborn hard-to-shift little viruses :-)

How you got the original Trojan - who knows? An email link, a PDF document, a Word document, a drive-by on a web page - lots of ways to collect one, if your security settings are even the tiniest bit lax or you're the tiniest bit careless. We really ought to have a prominent guide up here on how to avoid becoming infected - something that deals with firewalls, browsers, downloads, everything. There are some good documents around but no single comprehensive guide.

You're probably okay now. Safe surfing.

1 2 Previous Next