1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 25, 2010 11:39 AM by Vinod R

help with browser sending me to search page

I have mcafee total protection for 3 user. My laptop started acting up, when I type something in a search bar it will go to the search window with the listed web sites but if I click on the website, instead of taking me to that website it routes me to a generic paid looking web page.

Im not PC brilliant, but I did read the malware discussion at the beginning of this site, and I followed the steps and ran the stinger...

Its still doing it. Im frustrated, and further more I thought that protection against this came with my paid subscription. I cant whip out $80 to pay Mcafee

to de bug it... sorry Im just frustrated.

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Ive also tried to run the malbites, but Im getting no where

• 1. Re: help with browser sending me to search page
          Vinod R

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS TOOL IS TO BE RUN ONLY AS INDICATED IN DIAGNOSTICS MODE . DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES OR REPAIR BASED ON THE RESULTS OBTAINED BY THE TOOL.

Please follow the instruction given below to run the Tool in Very High Sensitivity level with REPORT ONLY mode. ( Note: If the scan is initiated with a high sensitivity mode and set to repair , It might cause ire-repairable damages to the machine hence always run it in REPORT ONLY MODE)

McAfee Labs Stinger

Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

1. Download
          2. When prompted, choose to save the file to a convenient location on your      hard disk (such as your Desktop folder).
          4. When the download is complete, navigate to the folder that contains the      downloaded Stinger file, and run it. WindowsME/XP/Vista users read      this first.

5. The Stinger interface will be displayed.

6. If necessary, click the Add or Browse     button to add additional drives/directories to scan. By default the C: drive      will be scanned.
          7. By default, Stinger will repair all infected files found THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED
          8. Enable Artemis Technology in stinger click on preferences and then select      the required sensitivity level.  If you select "High" or "Very High" McAfee Labs      recommends that you set the "On virus detection" action to "Report only" for the first scan.

9. Click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the specified      drives/directories.
          10. Once the scan is done Click the File menu and select Save report to file.
          11. Locate and examine the save report / attach it to the thread on which the helper was assisting you on the community.