3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2010 3:35 AM by JoeBidgood

McAfee Agent against malware?

johnsonchuang

As title, does McAfee agent has least protection against the malware? I have HDLP installed, policy enforced and third party anti-virus program in local computer, I want to know if the computer infected by malware, our colleague worried in case anti-virus or anti-spy definition are not up to date, then malware will send sensitive files and bypass HDLP protection. Is there anyone can help?

regards,

Johnson

• 1. Re: McAfee Agent against malware?
          JoeBidgood

I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure what you're asking - can you clarify a bit?

My answer to what I think you're asking would be this:  neither the McAfee agent nor HDLP offer any protection against infection by malware, so in the environment you describe everything would depend on the theird-party antivirus program. If the definitions used by this product are out of date then - the same as with any AV product - the machine is definitely at risk. Whether or not there is any malware that can bypass HDLP is a question I can't answer, I'm afraid.

HTH -

Joe

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: McAfee Agent against malware?
            johnsonchuang

Thanks for your reply, buddy! I think the McAfee agent do not have any protection against malware / virus, thanks for your information. For the HDLP issue, I think no one can even test it in their environment. At last, I want to ask will malware bypass HDLP policy, send unwanted information to public?

regards,

Johnson

• 3. Re: McAfee Agent against malware?
              JoeBidgood
              I want to ask will malware bypass HDLP policy, send unwanted information to public?

I have no idea, I'm afraid: even if nothing currently exists that can do this there is no guarantee that it won't exist in the future. In my opinion you need to concentrate on preventing the machine from becoming infected in the first place: always assume the worst and plan accordingly.

HTH -

Joe