1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 26, 2010 8:12 AM by April Jacobs

machines with 4.0 agent refusing to install 4.5 agent or call in to epo4.5

I'm having a bit of a headache.

I had a server which had EPO 4.0 with all the nodes calling in to get their updates and policies from agent 4.0.

The server was in a bad, bad way, so I decided to turn it off and build a new server.  An upgrade is out of the question. The server is in such a bad way I doubt it would survive a restart.

The new server (2008 32 bit) has EPO 4.5, I synched it with A/D then deployed agent 4.5 (with VirusScan 8.7 and Anti-Spyware 8.7).

The problem I encountered was that a good % of nodes decided not to pick up the agent 4.5

After a few days of trying to figure out why and ways alternate deployment methods, I feel the only way I can get all the machines to call in to the one EPO is by removing the old 4.0 agent and deploying the 4.5 agent.

I found and edited a startup script, but it didn't work.

PS - all the nodes don't have admin rights

PPS - The script I found and tried to edit is below.  If only this could be edited to check where the current agent calls into then remove the agent 4.0 that calls in to oldantivirus.server.com and install the 4.5 agent calling into antivirus.server.com

I'm new to this.

The problem with this script is that it looks to what the eposerverlist is.
      On a node with the old agent,  it does not have a eposeerverlist string in the registry and i think this is why it is failing.

@echo off
      rem Startup script to check for McAfee Agent and current ePO Server name
      rem If MA does not exist, install it, if exists, poke it
      rem ** Note: if logging, log file must exist and be writeable by the process involved as all the log file entries assume appending to the file **

rem Set MADir variable to location of Common Framework directory
      rem @echo Set MADir variable to location of Common Framework directory
      if exist "%ProgramFiles%\McAfee\Common Framework\CmdAgent.exe"  set MADir=%ProgramFiles%\McAfee\Common Framework
      if exist "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\McAfee\Common Framework\CmdAgent.exe" set MADir=%ProgramFiles^(x86^)%\McAfee\Common Framework
      if exist "%ProgramFiles%\McAfee\CmdAgent.exe" set MADir=%ProgramFiles%\McAfee
      if exist "%ProgramFiles%\Network Associates\Common Framework\CmdAgent.exe" set MADir=%ProgramFiles%\Network Associates\Common Framework
      if exist "%SystemDrive%\ePOAgent\CmdAgent.exe" set MADir=%SystemDrive%\ePOAgent
      if exist "%ProgramFiles%\ePOAgent\CmdAgent.exe" set MADir=%ProgramFiles%\ePOAgent
      @echo %MADir%

rem Test if client is ePO managed (EvtFiltr.ini only exists on ePO managed machines)
      rem @echo Test if client is ePO managed (EvtFiltr.ini only exists on ePO managed machines)
      if exist "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\EvtFiltr.ini" goto check_epo_server
      if exist "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Network Associates\Common Framework\EvtFiltr.ini" goto check_epo_server
      :epo_inst

rem If we're here we need to install agent (uses system credentials when run as a startup script)
      rem @echo If we're here we need to install agent (uses system credentials when run as a startup script)
        "\\server\area\McAfee\scripting\framepkg.exe" /FORCEINSTALL /INSTALL=AGENT /SILENT
      echo ***** %date% %time%: MA was NOT detected on %computername% ***** >> "C:/general.log"
        echo %date% %time%: Attempted to install MA on %computername% > C:/%computername%.log
      goto end_epo_inst

:check_epo_server
      rem Check registry key for existence of current ePO server name - if pointing to old ePO server, update sitelist with new version
      rem @echo Check registry key for existence of current ePO server name - if pointing to old ePO server, update sitelist with new version
        REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Agent" /v ePOServerList | find /i "antivirus.server.com" > nul
      @echo errorlevel= %errorlevel%
        if %errorlevel% == 1 (
      "%MADir%\FrmInst.exe" /Silent /siteinfo=\\server\area\McAfee\scripting\SiteList.xml
      echo %date% %time%: Updated ePO SiteList.xml on %computername% >> "C:/general.log"
        )
      :end_epo_inst
      rem Wakeup agent and log computer name (if log desired remove "rem" on next line)
      rem echo %date% %time%: MA exists on %computername% >> "\\10.1.1.1\pub\pub\ePO_Inst_Logs\general.log"
        rem @echo %date% %time%: MA exists on %computername%  > C:/%computername%.log
      "%MADir%\CmdAgent.exe" /p /c
      goto quit
      rem:thin_client
      rem Log computer is a thin client if desired
      rem echo %date% %time%: %computername% is an %runtimeskucode% - skipping... >> "\\10.1.1.1\pub\pub\ePO_Inst_Logs\general.log"

goto quit

:quit
      @echo End
      exit