6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2010 6:09 AM by ukdavo1983

EPO DAT deployment to remote client

Hi guys, been scratching my head over this for a few weeks now, but first background on our set up - we have EPO set up on a W2K3 server at our head office. We have a number of XP/W2K clients on the LAN that are receiving and updating DAT files fine and in the last month I've added 2-3 new systems without problem. Due to the nature of our business (Retail) we have a number of stores with Back Office servers running W2K each store has its own "domain" which is actually workgroup - under the previous EPO software we had no problems with this. Since the upgrade to EPO 4.5 in the summer we initially encountered a few problems with updating some of the store servers. We got around this by stopping the framework service and manually moving 3 .DAT files into the Common Files folder. Recently we have had a few server swap outs and a new store open and have been unable to get the agent installed on any of these devices. Deploying agent to the remote server we go into the system tree management > New System > Push Agents and add system to Current group > System to add: which I enter the hostname  > Disable System tree sorting unticked > Domain: I use the IP address e.g. 192.130.200.1 > username and password: the local admin account and selected All Agent Handlers.

In the Server Task log it says to have deployed:

11/12/10 3:17:57 PM  Started: Deploying agents to 1 system(s)
      11/12/10 3:34:15 PM  Completed: 1
      11/12/10 3:34:15 PM  Failed: 0
      11/12/10 3:34:15 PM  Expired: 0
      11/12/10 3:34:15 PM  Completed: Deploying agents to 1 system(s) (Deploy Agents)

However, on the Client Server it has no sign of any McAfee Software on the client - except for a Network Associates folder in Common Files (C:\Program Files\Network Associates). I then checked the subtask view in the task log:

11/12/10 3:18:03 PM  Starting deployment to HOSTNAME

11/12/10 3:18:03 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:18:44 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:19:23 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:20:03 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:20:43 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:21:23 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:22:04 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:22:44 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:23:24 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:24:04 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:24:38 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:25:18 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:25:58 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:26:38 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:27:18 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:28:08 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:28:53 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:29:33 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:30:28 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:31:08 PM  Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: The network path was not found.
      11/12/10 3:33:53 PM  Failed to open remote system environment, system error: Access is denied.
      11/12/10 3:33:53 PM  Deploy agent installation package to target system was successful

Speaking to McAfee Support they assured me that it had downloaded successfully - and I just needed to Download and install the DAT.exe file from their site - on execution it presented me with the error: Unable to find any qualifying McAfee Products. Does anyone have any

• 1. Re: EPO DAT deployment to remote client
          Tristan

Try the instructions in KB51661- How to create a custom agent installation package in ePO 4.0

This will generate a framepkg.exe that will install the agent with all the nessesary configuration (you might need to untick the 'use credentials' if your deploying it in a different domain).

Once installed and it's communicating to the EPO server you can then deploy VSE via a deployment task

Message was edited by: Tristan on 23/11/10 17:25:55 GMT
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: EPO DAT deployment to remote client
            Attila Polinger

Hi,

Your ePO server seem to be not able to access the target system at all, perhaps - speaking of a retail computer - it is firewall separated?

Please check Program Files\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Log\server.log on the ePO server and look this client name or IP up in it to find out the exact return code...

HTH:

Attila

• 3. Re: EPO DAT deployment to remote client

Hi Attilla checking the log I can see:

20101123172613 E #19392 NAIMSRV  Failed to authenticate to \\AW1001845S-S001, err=53
              20101123172613 E #19392 NAIMSRV  Push Agent Installation Program to AW1001845S-S001 failed

The firewall between the sites should be open as we havent had this problem before the upgrade to EPO 4.5, I think we were on 4.0 previously and could add new systems in this manner fine.

• 4. Re: EPO DAT deployment to remote client

Hi Tristan, I have tried what you suggested - I created a new framepkg.exe (McAfee agent for windows 4.5.0) file and downloaded to the server - attempted to install, but was confronted with:

McAfee Agent can not be installed on this version of Windows. Please see product documentation. I'm guessing this is why it hasnt deployed to these systems since the update to 4.5 - the servers are W2K SP4!

• 5. Re: EPO DAT deployment to remote client
                  Tristan

Yes that will be it.

It is possible to manualy install the 4.0.0.1494 agent and then 'insert' the nesseasry agent <-> epo server communication config by dropping in the right files.

I only did it the other day so i'll try and find the KB entry i used, unless someone else on the forum has it to hand.

• 6. Re: EPO DAT deployment to remote client

Resolution was to download and install extension EPOAGENTMETA.zip for 4.0 agent to the EPO repository and check in the MA400P3Win.zip 4.0 agent - I then created a framepkg.exe using this agent version as recommended by Tristan. I have manually copied to target server and run successfully.

Many Thanks