1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 2:17 PM by Peacekeeper

Spam being sent from my Yahoo address book...How?

It's NOT someone spoofing me, for one I am the "to" recipient and everyone else is bcc'd. I just put a new contact in my Yahoo address book last night and when I logged on this morning I found the new address added to the others the spam was sent to. This address has NEVER been added to any email I have sent to multi addresses. This isn't the first time this has happened BUT it had started happening after I dropped Norton for McAfee. I'm frustrated beyong all belief. I've spent at least an hour discussing, on the phone, my problem with someone I had a hard time understanding and communicating with. She promised to send me an email with something to try but it never came. She also wanted to provide me a phone conversation with a tech...for an additional $90...why the hell do I have McAfee, I THOUGHT it was supposed to protect me from this stuff?? I was a bit skeptical when she checked my subscription through my email address but when I had to LATER tell her what it was, she kept misunderstanding me. Next was an online back and forth with a tech who I allowed into my computer and I guess he found nothing. He sent me a handful of links to run through, I got through half of them and have given up in frustration. I'm ready to bag McAfee but don't want to lose my money, I've had it about 3 months. If they want to refund me ALL my money, I'll take it in an instant.

When I run a scan it says my computer is hunky-dory and I'm protected...yeah, right...but why is this happening to my address book? I don't open mail from people I don't know and I don't go and click on random links. I thought McAfee INSTANTLY could stop things like this happening, that is why I bought it...Norton seems to say it can but I don't want to get sucked in to more software that will later prove not to live up to it's promises.

I exclusively run FireFox 3.6.12, Yahoo is the current updateand the McAfee package I have is Total Protection as well as the free diagnostic downloads.

This is an embarrassment to me, I wouldn't forward this type of link to the products it directs you to...think I have good reason to be frustrated?????

• 1. Re: Spam being sent from my Yahoo address book...How?

Requesting you to add more clarity, please let us know what is the exact issue that you are facing so that I would be helpful for us to assist you in a better way. Thanks

• 2. Re: Spam being sent from my Yahoo address book...How?
            Hayton

Aldrin, the Jive system seems to have suffered a malfunction. This thread I think has become corrupted and entangled with another at

https://community.mcafee.com/message/160709#160709

I recall that this thread already had several posts but they have been lost

• 3. Re: Spam being sent from my Yahoo address book...How?

Oh ok, that makes sense.... Thanks Hayton...

• 4. Re: Spam being sent from my Yahoo address book...How?
                Hayton

Reported (with details) in the mods section under Help. Someone will have to try and sort out the mess in the morning.

Message was edited by: Hayton - more haste, less speed. Typos. on 23/11/10 03:05:48 GMT
                • 5. Re: Spam being sent from my Yahoo address book...How?
                  Peacekeeper

Trying to get help to you

Update your dat files and scan your PC with Virusscan in Safe Mode.

To  do this, tap F8 repeatedly while booting up. You'll get a boot screen  with choices. Pick Safe Mode. Your PC will boot in a low resolution  state as most processes won't be running. Go to "My Computer" (XP) or  "Computer" (Vista), right-click the hard drive and select "Scan" from  the drop-down menu. You'll see an extra taskbar icon which will show a  progress report if you hover over it.

If you think you have a virus infection on your PC do one or both of the following :

- Run the free Mcafee Stinger program from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ -

set it to Report Mode (in Preferences) and post the logs of anything it detects.( set it to very high sensitivity)

- Join the McAfee Getsusp group at https://community.mcafee.com/groups/getsusp30-beta-feedback

You will have to ask there for Getsusp, which is a Beta program and not yet on general release.

Download here latest version https://community.mcafee.com/message/161182#161182

Before you use Getsusp, you should go to this document

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1323

and download the PDF file explaining what Getsusp is and how it works, and this document

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1761

which downloads the installation guide PDF document.

If you want a second opinion, or to be on the safe side, then you can do a scan with the free versions of these tools :

Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware

If  you already have Malwarebytes installed, the virus could be protecting  itself against it. In that case, in order to get Malwarebytes running  you'll need to rename the executable. Open the C:\Program  Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder, then rename the "mbam.exe" file  and double-click directly on the file to open the program. After  updating the program, run a full system scan using Malwarebytes.

Make  sure both programs are updated to the latest versions before running  them and let them clean anything they find. If they quarantine a file or  fail to remove a file try to get a copy of it and send it to Mcafee  using the virus submission path described here :

(The following has been copied from a post of Peacekeeper's, to whom I am grateful for saving me some typing).

Send the file to mcafee labs at http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx

Zip the file and password it with password infected.

You will probably get an autoreply back saying it is infected; reply asking for it to be manually tested.

Include in your first submission :-

Submission Information
                  Please provide the following information along with your sample. It will help us speed the sample review process:

• A list of all files contained in the sample submission, including a brief description of where or how you found them
                  • What symptoms cause you to suspect that the sample is malicious
                  • Whether  any security products find a virus (tell us the  security vendor, its  product name, the version number, and the virus  name assigned to the  sample)
                  • Your McAfee product information (product name, engine, and DAT version
                  • Any system details that may be relevant (operating system, service packs, etc.)

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 26/11/10 6:40:21 AM
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Spam being sent from my Yahoo address book...How?

Thank you for the help Peacekeeper, I'll give them a shot when I have a lot of spare time. I'm not a big computer "geek" and a lot of this will take me some time to go through...and all I've been through so far about this problem has left me more than a bit frustrated.

Thank for taking ther time to write all this up for me, I sincerely do appreciate it.

Tom

• 7. Re: Spam being sent from my Yahoo address book...How?

I don't understand how a virus in my machine is sending messages to my Yahoo correspondents without me!  I suppose changing my Yahoo address would be of little avail...grrrr!   DOES this have ANYTHING to do with having switched recently to WIN7/IE? and downloaded my Yahoo address book to Windows address book, for the first time in YEARS AND YEARS?  It's only been days since I did that...grrrrrrrrr

• 8. Re: Spam being sent from my Yahoo address book...How?
                        Peacekeeper

Can be someone on your address book got a virus and it passed on your addy. they then spoof your address on the emails they send out unless these emails are showing as sent in your sent box are they?

I had my email addy compromised in that way . I got 100s of not at this address replies back to emails I was supposed to have sent. Upon checking the email headers I saw that the emails were coming from Russian spamming heaps in Russia. I was worried my address would have been tagged as a spam addy but appears to be fine. All settled down in a couple days after they then used someone else's addy.

• 9. Re: Spam being sent from my Yahoo address book...How?

Nothing shows in my "sent" folder.

The only way I can see them getting my addy's would be from long ago before I bcc'd the recipients...I used the cc function. Possibly someone wasn't as diligent as to strip off the address headers before forwarding something on, I don't know. It happened again a few days ago, I haven't opened any email from senders I don't know and haven't opened any from a sister who sends all sorts of junk my way. I feel bad about this last one but with her kids using the computer, who knows what kind of nasties they download.

Like I wrote previously, I have only bcc'd recipients on my email for many years now...thanks for the suggestions. It is indeed frustrating.

1 2 Previous Next